Vacancy: RSPB seeks tnders for contract to cull 250 red deer in Suffolk

JMS906

I received notice of this from BASC.

In short, the RSPB want contractors to tender to cull up to 250 red deer from their reserve at Minmere in Suffolk. Tenders have to be at the RSPB by noon on Friday this week, 7th July. Full details via the BASC website at the link below.

Red Deer Culling Contract – RSPB Minsmere

-JMS

Well I say good on them for realising that things have to be a balance and not being shy to put it in the public eye
Kind regards
Jimmy

Yes and no.
Its very good they are sorting things but next time they are sounding off at someone for wanting to control something feathery they maybe should think.

I used to visit Minsmere a lot in the early 80's while fishing the beach.
Not once did I ever set eyes on a deer of any description while there, so how long have they been there ?

Neil. :)

I visited Minsmere twice last year and the red deer were very evident in full daylight. The place was also heaving with rabbits so they could do with culling them as well. Some serious ground erosion was being caused.

Last edited:
I received notice of this from BASC.

In short, the RSPB want contractors to tender to cull up to 250 red deer from their reserve at Minmere in Suffolk. Tenders have to be at the RSPB by noon on Friday this week, 7th July. Full details via the BASC website at the link below.

Red Deer Culling Contract – RSPB Minsmere

-JMS

1. Let us start with the premise that if one member of this site does "something bad" the rest of us should be tarred with the same brush.

2. BASC bashing. RSPB bashing.

3. BASC actually offering out a request from RSPB.

4. No need to jump up and down about it....

Whats happening, where are the Trolls....

Common sense at last.

​Stan

Looks like a good opportunity to me and the chance for whoever secures the contract to display a professional approach to a real problem being experienced by a very public organisation.

I used to visit Minsmere a lot in the early 80's while fishing the beach.
Not once did I ever set eyes on a deer of any description while there, so how long have they been there ?

Neil. :)

Use to go there 78/84 period and I too saw nothing to indicate deer.
Were they introduced or just made their way there?

250 in 150 odd days.....? Unlikely I would think......
Step foot on minsmere and every direction there's deer, you would be hard pressed NOT to be able to shoot in excess of this number, last time I went there were 2 groups of well in excess of 200 reds apiece, very used to public and just stand around as you walk through. Saying that, they were as thin as **** as there's not a blade of grass left on the place with the deer and rabbits.

Step foot on minsmere and every direction there's deer, you would be hard pressed NOT to be able to shoot in excess of this number, last time I went there were 2 groups of well in excess of 200 reds apiece, very used to public and just stand around as you walk through. Saying that, they were as thin as **** as there's not a blade of grass left on the place with the deer and rabbits.

Yes there may be a lot and yes they may be used to the public, but the minute you start shooting them hard they are going to disappear on to adjacent land where they don't have a cull target of 250 and they will quickly become nocturnal. Add to this you will be restricted which bits you can go on on the reserve, and when, followed by people popping up all over the place just when your about to shoot one, mixed with a little bad weather, which lets face is is all winter, and shooting a minimum of 1.66 deer 7 days a week is one hell of a tall order!

This will need a syndicate of up to 10 rifles to not only cover the time/speed required to grass this many animals, but also to spread the costs. You'd need to hit them really really hard in the 10 days, probably from high seats angled into a couple of high density areas and get 10/15 down per day over that initial period. After that, you'd have 140 days to pick off the remaining 100-150. Leave it 3 months, and set up another set of multi-rifle days

That's dependent on them hanging around of course, and as stalker.308 says "one hell of a tall order"

If I had DSC2 I'd look deeper into this, but it's not up for discussion, so...

well overdue, but its all or nothing , a 250 target in 4 months ,
​ as apposed to a long term management plan .

interesting opportunity for a younger person.
not for me

Back