Thread: Barnes 130grTSX and vit N140

Barnes 130grTSX and vit N140

Thinking of working up a load for my 308 with the Barnes TSX 130 gr bullets. They state varget as the most accurate powder but as this is in short supply and I have Vit N140 is it worth trying this?
    has anyone got any data for these bullets with vit powders?

Cheers,

​BE

theres no load data in barnes manual for vit powders, bl-c2 seams best load data 50 grains minimum charge gives 2995fps with max load at 56 grains giving 3235 fps, all barnes bullets work best with quite a hot load, but set them 50 thou off the lands

Thanks for that i was aware they liked a jump of 50-70 thou.
    Vit manual does give loading for 130gr bullets for N140 just wondered if anyone had tried this with Barnes bullets. The web says varget good and vit N140 is close in burn rates, plus I have that one already!

I'm using N540 in mine plus I crimp them and I wouldn't use another bullet .

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Thanks for that i was aware they liked a jump of 50-70 thou.
    Vit manual does give loading for 130gr bullets for N140 just wondered if anyone had tried this with Barnes bullets. The web says varget good and vit N140 is close in burn rates, plus I have that one already!
    At the risk of telling my grandmother how to suck eggs!
    Be aware that as a solid copper bullet the tsx is physically larger than its equivealent lead cored counterpart, with a longer bearing surface giving rise to significantly higher chamber pressures when using simar powder rates.
    I've tried these in 7-08 using Varget and reached a pressure wall significantly earlier than when using nosler ballistic tips of the same weight.
    ​dcg

Thanks DCG, I was going to work up a load slowly rather than jump in. Barnes on line data recommends varget just this is in short supply!

Thanks Teckel will try and get my hands on some N540 but again this is very similar to N140 so do wonder if I could use the varget data and very slowly in .2 gr increments increase until found a good load with N140.

​BE

I would expect 140 would work well. I have used varget and 140 in several calibres and have found them to give similar results weight for weight. That said start low and work up as always. Viht are listing between 42.4 and 48.7 of N140 with a 130 grain bullet but not the TSX specifically. I have not seen evidence of more rapid or severe pressure spikes with TSX but always heed the seating depth suggestions you suggest. I have just started playing with the 130 TSX in 308 but am trying H4895 as my barrel has just been chopped to 20 inches