Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: good foxing calibar

good foxing calibar

hi guys i know this is a stalking site to which i do stalk lol i also do pheasant shooting and need a gun for the foxes upto 150 -250 yrds i do have a 22-250 for which the ground is passed but the other guns dont like them being used they say the ground isnt suitable (even though its fine) BUT DONT WONT TO ROCK THE BOAT LOL. so come on guys give me some ideas pls .

thanks amber 243

.223 rem, 40grain nosler bt over 24.8 gns N133, six rounds touching one after the other @ 100yds, or you can seat a 52gn a-max on the same load, good out to 3 hundred yds 8) should add that fox are usually taken on sight on any beat, deer or pheasant.

Stick with your 22-250 and put a moderator on it and it is a superb reynard weapon.

.22/250 plus mod gets my vote too, good out to 300 yards. If the other guys dont like the 22/250 then I cant see them liking any of the centrefires really. go for 50gr ballistic if its safety that bothers them

SD Regular
    I am puzzled by why the .22-250 is not considered suitable? The essence of SAFE SHOOTING for foxes is to have a high velocity so that a miss or a pass through breaks up on hitting the ground and does not ricochet.

Or is it that it is not suitable because of worries about too much wind deflecting the light bullet? In which case maybe the answer is a 270 with a 115g grain bullet at ridiculous 3,300fps velocity?

Re: good foxing calibar

Quote Originally Posted by amber243
    hi guys i know this is a stalking site to which i do stalk lol i also do pheasant shooting and need a gun for the foxes upto 150 -250 yrds i do have a 22-250 for which the ground is passed but the other guns dont like them being used they say the ground isnt suitable (even though its fine) BUT DONT WONT TO ROCK THE BOAT LOL. so come on guys give me some ideas pls .

thanks amber 243
    You are obviously very patient, I would loose the tattie to be told that because my rifle was 300fps faster than theirs it was not suitable. Some people understand so little about rifles it beggars belief.
    I take it the other guns are all using barnes varmint grenades due to their safety concerns?!

Ps. Buying another rifle may just leave you out of pocket, with something that you don't use often, when the voice of reason could save you a couple of shillings.

I would use a .222 but that's me. The practical guy in me says stick with the .22-250 and down load it if necessary.~Muir.

IMHO the ground is either suitable for shooting or not. And the biggest factor for safety is the man behind the rifle / shotgun. It doesn't really matter whether or not you are using a 410, 12 bore, 22rf, 22 centrefire or a .375 there are safe shots and non safe shots.

But agree that a small high velocity bullet will fragment and much less likely to ricochet. For that matter the worst of the lot is the 22rf.

Do also bear in mind that a lot of game shots have never fired a rifle, know nothing about rifles and don't understand them - I think this is a matter of you educating the other syndicate members that you know what you are doing and are safe and competent.

thanks for that guys i do agree with what u all have said . and yes its the man behind the gun not the gun ive been shooting upto .308 for nearly 15 yrs have shot my 22.250 loads upto 300 yrs on foxes ................... but as you say the rest of the syndicate have .22rf and very little experience bunny hunters lol ........... thanks once again

SD Regular
    An standard 22 Rimfire is marginal on foxes. And 22 Hornet is not that much far behind either.

Indeed IMHO it should be actually ILLEGAL except for killing of trapped foxes at close range.

It really beggars belief that someone would consider a weapon that is, essentially, firing ONE "AAA" sized shot as adequate for fox at anything over twenty-five yards and AT NIGHT in windy conditions.