Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A trickle of powder

A trickle of powder

I stopped into Wal Mart in the City tonight and was shocked to see PPU and Winchester .223 on the shelves. Looking down the aisle, I was even more surprised to see IMR 4350, H 4831, H-1000, IMR 4064, and lastly, Varget! They had just put out eight pounds of each -their entire shipment according to the clerk- and unlike boxes of cartridges, there was no limit on powder sales. I quickly dialed a few friends back in town and confirmed they wanted some, and bought five pounds of Varget. Nice to see powder starting to come back.... slowly. I'm glad I was in the right place at the right time. There are going to be some happy guys hereabouts tomorrow. ~Muir

Go on then muir, break our hearts, how much is varget a tub over with you.

$27.50/lb
    No, it's a good thing. For a single Wal Mart (one of two in that city) to get eight pounds of Varget indicates that a fairly large quantity of Varget must have been shipped to the various distribution centers that serve the regions where guns and reloading gear are sold. This is the first Varget anybody I know has seen since Christmas last, at least.~Muir

(If I was a greedy basterd, I'd have bought it all and sold it in my home town at a profit. I have had guys offereing me $50/lb for the Varget I had here at the house as little as two weeks ago)

Varget is around 45 pounds over here, thats approx 67.79 dollars
    Last edited by swarovski; 04-07-2013 at 16:58.

Im down to my last spoon full of Varget

Any home grown UK manufactured powders available? I'm sure RG for the military would not rely on foreign imports...........................or am I being naive?

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I stopped into Wal Mart in the City tonight and was shocked to see PPU and Winchester .223 on the shelves. Looking down the aisle, I was even more surprised to see IMR 4350, H 4831, H-1000, IMR 4064, and lastly, Varget! They had just put out eight pounds of each -their entire shipment according to the clerk- and unlike boxes of cartridges, there was no limit on powder sales. I quickly dialed a few friends back in town and confirmed they wanted some, and bought five pounds of Varget. Nice to see powder starting to come back.... slowly. I'm glad I was in the right place at the right time. There are going to be some happy guys hereabouts tomorrow. ~Muir
    Glad for you lot
    I'll be happy when I get some Trail Boss

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    Any home grown UK manufactured powders available? I'm sure RG for the military would not rely on foreign imports...........................or am I being naive?
    Really? IMI contracted as ammo supplier after Royal Ordnance was privatised...go figure

its just a waiting game one day shooters in the usa will wake up and say to themselves what am I going to do with my stockpile I have more than a lifetimes worth. then the US powder makers will have no market for there stock then we will see a price drop. in the mean time start using powder from Europe its just as good if not better and cheaper .

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Glad for you lot
    I'll be happy when I get some Trail Boss
    I have enough Varget to last me for a while. In truth, I don't use it much so 4 or 5 cans lasts forever. For the other guys it's a just a junkie's fix. A lot of them have been sitting on their hands waiting for their pet fuel to come back instead of working up loads with a different (and available) powder.

Swaro: Is that per kilo or pound?? If its per pound.... holy crap.~Muir