Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two good books.

Two good books.

I picked up a couple of books last week; a new edition of Rogue Male by Geoffrey Household, and Death in the Lock Grass by Peter Hathaway-Capstick.

Rogue Male is the story of an Englishman on a stalking holiday in Poland in the 1930's, who decides to cross into an un-named country (Germany?) to stalk (but not shoot) an un-named dictator (Hitler?) purely for the challenge. It was written at that time, and is similar (but a lot more full-on) than The 39 Steps. A very good story...if you're my age, you might just about remember the TV adaptation from the late 70's.

Death in the Long Grass was written in the 1970's by an American stockbroker turned African PH...although I've just started it, I think will be a hard one to put down!

If you're looking for a good read, I don't think you'll be disappointed by either of these.

Anybody your age might remember the war and Death in the Lock Grass isn't that about maneaters near Caen Hill locks
    Geordie
    Last edited by geordieh; 04-07-2013 at 23:29.

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    I picked up a couple of books last week; a new edition of Rogue Male by Geoffrey Household, and Death in the Lock Grass by Peter Hathaway-Capstick.

Rogue Male is the story of an Englishman on a stalking holiday in Poland in the 1930's, who decides to cross into an un-named country (Germany?) to stalk (but not shoot) an un-named dictator (Hitler?) purely for the challenge. It was written at that time, and is similar (but a lot more full-on) than The 39 Steps. A very good story...if you're my age, you might just about remember the TV adaptation from the late 70's.

Death in the Long Grass was written in the 1970's by an American stockbroker turned African PH...although I've just started it, I think will be a hard one to put down!

If you're looking for a good read, I don't think you'll be disappointed by either of these.

Loved RM but Capstick? Generally regarded as taking everyone else s tales and folding them into his own tall tales..want the best book ever written by a hunter? Try MANEATERS OF KUMAON
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

I agree jg, probably the biggest fraud in African hunting literature, but an entertaining one.

​Frank
    Last edited by Frank Homes; 05-07-2013 at 07:15.

My current read is "The Africa Letters" by Blixen. Absolutely fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Homes View Post
    I agree jg, probably the biggest fraud in African literature, but an entertaining one.

​Frank
    Don't know about the "fraud" bit but spot on re entertainment value. Written in a style you'll either love or hate.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Don't know about the "fraud" bit but spot on re entertainment value. Written in a style you'll either love or hate.

K
    He can certainly tell a good story, that's for sure. The trouble is, the more I read, the more I want to go to Africa! Beer money....champagne tastes!

Rogue Male is one of the best pieces of English language fiction I have read. It is a short novel, but in many ways an almost perfect story because every detail is covered, in additon to which Household disects the British class system in a way that is funny and clever. Add in the fact that the whole story from begining to end is one complex stalk and you have a brilliant book. It has a sequal called Rogue Justice, but it was written a long time after, and is not nearly so captivating.

I can say nothing about the other as I have not read it or anything else by the same author.

Quote Originally Posted by geordieh View Post
    Anybody your age might remember the war and Death in the Lock Grass isn't that about maneaters near Caen Hill locks
    Geordie
    Are you insinuating that Rupert is `old`??
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by johngryphon View Post
    Loved RM but Capstick? Generally regarded as taking everyone else s tales and folding them into his own tall tales..want the best book ever written by a hunter? Try MANEATERS OF KUMAON

​ Bloody oath! Don't know of much better.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.