Thread: Tikka m595 .243 ammo suggestions

Tikka m595 .243 ammo suggestions

Hi, just starting stalking, and waiting delivery of a tikka m595 in .243
    I was wondering what ammo any current owners of this combo are using. Granted the suggestions may not work in my rifle, but wanting to know what works, and more importantly what does not. Will eventually go to home loading but want to get some range time to familiarise myself with the rifle first

Thanks

Aaron

this is the same question that comes up time and time again,no one can tell you what will work in your set up only what works in theres,I presume your going to use factory ammo ?? if this is the case the costs of finding what does perform best can be quite costly.
    what do you intend to use the rifle for ?? if its just for fox a 70 to 75gr bullet will be perfect.
    stalking a 90gr will be best due to the twist of your barrel
    Last edited by see it shoot it; 05-07-2013 at 10:50.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronbott View Post
    Hi, just starting stalking, and waiting delivery of a tikka m595 in .243
    I was wondering what ammo any current owners of this combo are using. Granted the suggestions may not work in my rifle, but wanting to know what works, and more importantly what does not. Will eventually go to home loading but want to get some range time to familiarise myself with the rifle first

Thanks

Aaron
    This does come up time and time again so do try a search. I've got the same rifle, but handload only because the factory ammo is so disappointing. I've been given this so maybe that's the reason.

You will need at least to experiment with 100gr for Scotland. The Tikka shoots all the weights I've tried well.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

For factory loads try federal powershok in 80gr

Aaron
    For familiarization you could do a lot worse than try some Privi Partizan if you can get it locally. It's very cheap compared to other barrel fodder & usually works well in most rifles. If it shoots good groups from your Tikka M595 (great rifle --- I've got one in 243 too) buy plenty more so you can save the brass for when you want to get into reloading. (Privi cases are ok to reload).
    You'll probably (but not definitely) find light bullets (less than 90 grains) shoot tighter groups than heavier ones (100 or 105 grains) if your Tikka has the normal "slow" twist barrel fitted. - This has been the case in all the four 243 rifles I've owned.

Have fun finding out!!

Ian

Thanks for the replys, I appreciate that it's a minefield kinda question.
    ill be using the rifle for foxing and deer, so will look at 100grn and standardise on that for now.

I have had 2 Tikka m595s in .243, both shot 85g bullets really well,
    Used them for Roe, Muntjack and fox.
    Federal 85g with sierra gameking heads, also reloaded my own to match.