Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I want a lever action .22RF?

Do I want a lever action .22RF?

Hello everyone!

Yesterday, I failed to acquire a Steyr Zephyr stutzen .22 in an auction, and I 've realised that having seen that, my heart's not into spending the money on a CZ equivalent. I already have a stutzen stalking rifle, I think I may be all stutzened-out for now. Now I don't actually need the .22 for any sort of regular vermin control, although that may happen once in a while. It's primarily for having fun at the range (and is conditioned as such, so let's not start that discussion). So what the hell, I've saved up the money, and I may as well buy something that I'll have fun with, and what's more fun that a lever action .22RF? You may have some ideas regarding that, but I think that many of these are perfectly good enough for shooting at running boar targets and will happily deal with the odd bunny or squirrel when the opportunity arises.

I've had a look at what's on the market (I'd probably be buying second hand, but there are lots out there) and it seems to boil down to the Marlin 39A, the Browning BL Gr2 and the Winchester 9422, although I don't think they make the last one anymore. The Marlin appears to have the nicest stock, with a pistol-grip and curved underlever, but I daresay there are loads of variants out there.

So who has one? What do you think? What do you think I should do?

I don't haveone in .22lr but I think the Marlins are generally very good. Side ejection so its nice and easy to stick a scope on it with no problems... I have one in .357 and its cracking

I had a Marlin 39A for a while as a vermin rifle and apart from being a pain to load the tubular mag on a night I found it to be a lovely bit of kit.Very accurate and not too ammo fussy either.Well worth a look but they do seem to hold their price well.

My Marlin 39A Golden is a tack driver with CCI subs and with a magazine capacity of 19 Long Rifle or 26 Shorts I very seldom need to reload at night, as I can only carry about 12 bunnies at a time!
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Right, that's three votes for the Marlin so far! Any Winchester or Browning users out there?

Marlin here as well
    ​I have not tried a Winchester, but have the Browning, which I kept for a week before trading up to the Marlin.

Neil.

There is only one place for a "Cowboy" in the BSRC and that's the Target SHED!

NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    There is only one place for a "Cowboy" in the BSRC and that's the Target SHED!

NO!
    I'm not going anywhere near the target repository anymore. It's nothing but trouble.

Is there anything in the rules that forbids this choice, or is it just that people will look askance because I don't seem to be taking it seriously enough? To my eyes, it's not as offensive as dirty great plastic things with two scopes, a tripod, and mysterious wheels, knobs and bolts all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I'm not going anywhere near the target repository anymore. It's nothing but trouble.

Is there anything in the rules that forbids this choice, or is it just that people will look askance because I don't seem to be taking it seriously enough? To my eyes, it's not as offensive as dirty great plastic things with two scopes, a tripod, and mysterious wheels, knobs and bolts all over.
    Probably and most certainly if you start returning good scores!

Nothing to stop you using it that I’m aware of but you’ll only be handicapping yourself (in my opinion) and in all the 22 rimfire disciplines.

But hey, if you wish to prove me wrong and fun is the #1 factor go for it.

K

While Marlin used to be good in the time since Remington bought them out and moved production they have completely ruined what was once a decent rifle. Do a Google search on "Remlin" or "Marlington" problems. Have a look round for a Henry Golden Boy
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy