Sharpie

My habit when using the forum is to click on the "New Posts" tab to review the marvelous variety that is SD.

However I've began to realise that not every new post shows up there, so I may be missing out.

Is this a peculiarity of my account, or is there some weirdness of the filter that I don't understand ?

Case in point: I posted at 20:11 in

Forum
Firearms, Accessories and Ammunition
Rifles & Calibres
Do I want a lever action .22RF?

But at the moment this doesn't show up in New Posts.

Perhaps the server is running a bit slow ?

Is that the "Threads I'm In" function?

If so then yes, it can take a while to show up in there because searches are cached for performance so instead of re-doing the search from scratch it looks to see if the same search has been done recently and if so it delivers the last result for a set period of time. The Threads I'm In function is a customisation of the forum software and so unfortunately it is governed by limitations in the software.

You'll find that after a period of time the new thread will appear, in theory it could be anything up to an hour.

The What's New -> New Posts will show everything up to date that you haven't read, but it won't show the thread you have just posted in because you have just read it. It will only show that thread again when someone else posts in it.

Hope that makes sense?

​Alex

Last edited:
The What's New -> New Posts will show everything up to date that you haven't read, but it won't show the thread you have just posted in because you have just read it. It will only show that thread again when someone else posts in it.

Hope that makes sense?

​Alex

Thats it. Its not how I'd have coded it, but it does make sense, sort-of...

Thanks for the explanation.

Its a nuisance because sometimes if I come back an hour or a day later and click on "New Posts" (top left under the banner) it would be helpful to see the previous "new posts" that I saw before, but if I have previously read them and/or posted to them (and forgotten), they will have disappeared. A bit like my grey cells.

I suppose what I would really like would be "all posts in the last day/week/month" etc.

Cheers,

Jonathan

If you come back a day later and use the Threads I'm In function it will show all the threads you have participated in whether you have read them since or not. Ones with new posts since your last visit will be in bold.

Not sure I'm operating this correctly, I cant find "threads I'm in" anywhere.

In my settings "Default Thread Subscription Mode:" was set to "do not subscribe". I've changed it to "through my control panel only", I'm hoping that this will enable the function.

edit:

That seems to have worked. The Quick Link to to "subscribed threads" seems to work now. Is that the same thing as "threads I'm in" ?

Last edited:
When you click "what's new" on the tool bar then just below it there's another tool bar in green the forth one along should say "threads I'm in"

Not sure I'm operating this correctly, I cant find "threads I'm in" anywhere.

In my settings "Default Thread Subscription Mode:" was set to "do not subscribe". I've changed it to "through my control panel only", I'm hoping that this will enable the function.

edit:

That seems to have worked. The Quick Link to to "subscribed threads" seems to work now. Is that the same thing as "threads I'm in" ?

Subscribed threads is completely different... you can subscribe to any thread you like, not just ones you are participating in. Once you subscribe to threads you can enable notifications when people reply to them.

As davidm says, Click What's New, and then "Thread's I'm In" appears just below.

Thanks CSL, thats exactly what I need. I'll turn off the subscribed threads setting again.

Cheers.

Back