Thread: Hungarian (wirehaired) Viszla

Hungarian (wirehaired) Viszla

Does anyone keep and train Viszla's , either Wirehaired or Smooth ?

Have been reading a bit lately and seen them said to be softer and easier than say a GWP, and are a good first HPR breed.
    Would love to hear more about them, if you have pictures then please feel free to post them.

I have recently started shooting / doing work on a farm I have permission on that has a lot of overgrown woodland / forestry and has a population of fallow deer there , not bad for 10 minutes down the road

Just after reading a lot about stalking etc have read some interesting stuff about HPR breed's. IF I were to get one it would hopefully be used for

-Companion
    -Stalking, both on foot, possibly under high seat and blood tracking if needed
    -Some rough shooting / the odd night duck shooting

Appreciate any insight

I really don't want to offend any HPR breeds/owners here, but depending on ur expereince and how much experience mates/friends have with gundogs to give u a hand,.
    But NO hpr is an entirely easy ride, they all have different quirks and characteristics and in my opinion need a more experienced trainer to really get the most out off them. Very easy to make a mistake or 2 and ruin the dog relatively easy.
    Try and get along to training days or field trials (even game fairs) to watch and speak to as many owners as possible. Often the smoother coated hpr breeds sometimes struggle with cold/shivering on wet days or flighting

I think it takes a very good hpr to to better a decent average working lab standard for 'normal gundog work', which is relatively easy to train a lab to that standard
    If u use lab's for example it's amazing how many mistakes/badly trained a dog can be but with the right training/advise can be turned into a tidy working dog as very forgiving dogs that really only want to please u, most hpr's are very clever and very quick so u have to concentrate 100% of time minute ur gaurd is down they know and will take full advantage.

I probably should put a tin hat on now Just my opinion, really do ur homework first thou, speak to people that also train more than 1 breed so u can get a balanced opinion of any breeds strengths/weaknesses rather than the rose tinted view that sometimes comes with single breed owners (whichever the breed is)

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    I really don't want to offend any HPR breeds/owners here, but depending on ur expereince and how much experience mates/friends have with gundogs to give u a hand,.
    But NO hpr is an entirely easy ride, they all have different quirks and characteristics and in my opinion need a more experienced trainer to really get the most out off them. Very easy to make a mistake or 2 and ruin the dog relatively easy.
    Try and get along to training days or field trials (even game fairs) to watch and speak to as many owners as possible. Often the smoother coated hpr breeds sometimes struggle with cold/shivering on wet days or flighting

I think it takes a very good hpr to to better a decent average working lab standard for 'normal gundog work', which is relatively easy to train a lab to that standard
    If u use lab's for example it's amazing how many mistakes/badly trained a dog can be but with the right training/advise can be turned into a tidy working dog as very forgiving dogs that really only want to please u, most hpr's are very clever and very quick so u have to concentrate 100% of time minute ur gaurd is down they know and will take full advantage.

I probably should put a tin hat on now Just my opinion, really do ur homework first thou, speak to people that also train more than 1 breed so u can get a balanced opinion of any breeds strengths/weaknesses rather than the rose tinted view that sometimes comes with single breed owners (whichever the breed is)

No need for your tin foil armour mate I thought it was an honest review and unbiased ... I won't be getting another dog for quite a while yet and was just interested to hear more about the breed

I bought a Hungarian wirehaired viszla pup last year she is now14 months old and use her only for stalking, she will hunt in front no more than 20 feet or so and indicate the presence of deer ,she will walk to heel for as long as I I want her to she will lay down on a hiss from me so I can crawl forward for the shot she will lay still for long as I a need her to then once the tracking coller and line is on does a very good job of tracking shot beasts, then she will lie down four feet away while I cralloch the beast . This bitch was a doddle to train ive been training dogs for nearly 40 years and this is my first stalking dog and first HWV ,it may be just this one but I am very impressed with this breed. I will definitely be keeping a pup from her when she is bred. I went on a bit but this dog is something else.
    Happy Happy Happy.

EVERY DOG DESERVES A WELL TRAINED OWNER
    HOOLIT

+1 on hoolit,
    mine is almost 2yrs old a most loyal and workable breed, no such thing as a bad dog , stalking ,rabbit control, tracking and I still learn something from him every time were out , just remember you cant smell a deer at 50yrds, no more than your dog could shoot it at 50yrd, your a team and if you both bring your halves to the stalk, there is hours of stalking enjoyment to have.
    wcm

Hoolit-very very well said.....
    EVERY DOG DESERVES A WELL TRAINED OWNER-that sums up so much

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Hi LLoyd, I Bought a Vizsla last year she is 11 months now and is an amazing dog. I previously trained 2 spaniels and whilst eager to please and good hunters they are nothing compared to this dog for working. I intend to use her mostly for walked up rough shooting in large fields full of rushes and lightly wooded areas. Also for rabbit shooting and hopefully for some stalking. She will not work cover as thick as a spaniel will do, neither will labs, but could work literally all day if i wanted her to. She is clever, fit and has a good nose. I would definately recommend a Vizsla as they tick all the boxes you are looking for but maybe not freezing cold wildfowling.
    She is not soft like people say they are and even after a telling off or a little smack she is fine right away. I do like the GSP`s also but will prob never get another type as me and the mrs want a dog to go with her now.

Great dogs. Go for it.
    Mine is my first dog and I'm sure she would have benefited from a more experienced owner but she's not bad.
    If your at working and not paying attention they will get into bad habits just like any dog.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000032.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	461.2 KB 
ID:	30198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3275.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	549.5 KB 
ID:	30199