Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: aldi are selling image intensifiers ?

aldi are selling image intensifiers ?

Has any one tried these what do you think of them.

Regards

Ian

They've been in my local Aldi for a bit, 110

Thought about it they are Gen 1 are they not?

I bought a electric mincer the other day from Aldi too, Cookworks goes well - its done nearly two big munties - has everything you need sausage adaptor and 3 gradesfor mincing!

T

A friend of mine has bought one. We tried it under the full moon and it seemed to work fine without turning the built-in IR lamp on. The image was very clear at longer distances but it had a very short focal length at closer distances.

It would be good enough to see the larger deer out to a few hundred meters but it was difficult to spot rabbits within 100m (they were easier to spot using a normal shooting lamp with a red filter).

Not tried it in the woods yet or under a moonless sky but i would imagine the inbuilt IR lamp would need to be used in these situations.

I think it would be a useful spotting aid when getting in to position for the early morning stalks and probably useful for spotting charlie when out in the evening but don't expect too much from it - That said, I did go back to buy one but they had sold out.

To be honest these units are toys, they cost around 100 and you gets what you pay for, yes they will work ok,ish in moonlight or bright starlight but directly the cloud base comes down they are of no use, the onboard ir is just not man enough to be effective. I have many thousand pounds worth of various night vision scopes, all of which have benefited from additional external ir/laser sources.
    Im not too sure how the law would stand with Deer and night vision, should you be stopped and found with a carcase and night vision scope would the police try to make a case against you?

Quote Originally Posted by willowbank View Post
    To be honest these units are toys, they cost around 100 and you gets what you pay for, yes they will work ok,ish in moonlight or bright starlight but directly the cloud base comes down they are of no use, the onboard ir is just not man enough to be effective. I have many thousand pounds worth of various night vision scopes, all of which have benefited from additional external ir/laser sources.
    Im not too sure how the law would stand with Deer and night vision, should you be stopped and found with a carcase and night vision scope would the police try to make a case against you?
    Dont be afraid of the police unless you break the law. This not a rifle scope and there is no law against using one any way.Save your pennies and go for a pulsar digital scope.I carry one with me most times. regards woodfordfallow

Have field tested the Pulsar when it first came out, good value for money entry level nightvision scope BUT found that what you were viewing wasnt actually the picture when it came to squeezing the trigger, dont ask me to explain it but trust me at 200-300 yards it made a huge difference to the end result, a fox shot using an upmarket gen2+ NV scope was a dead fox but with the Pulsar they seemed to have moved, the strike was never where it should have been.
    Having said that the Pulsar would be very good for spotting, also has the advantage that it can be used in daylight.
    Regards WB

is this a NV monocular?

I have the last one they did, a Bresser 5x50
    unless you are used to gen2-3 opticl NV I think they are great.

teh on board IR lights up eyes out to 300yds
    I can easily spot rabbits and foxes further than I care to shoot them

is there a link I cant find them on the website?

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Isthere a link I cant find them on the website?
    The original post was started in October 2009

[QUOTE=bewsher500;451198]doh!

LOL still current info tho...