Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wild deer intruding

wild deer intruding

Last week I had a wild hind jump in with my deer. Usually get a stag or two in each year but this was only the second hind. Obviously I don't want them in because of the disease risk so I just open an outside gate and let them out. Stags that come in more than twice get shot. Anyway this particular morning the hind was running the fence looking for a way out but I had to go back to the house for the gate keys. On returning she was not where I had left her but had gone into the main hind group presumably thinking there was safety in numbers. Big mistake. The stag did not want her any where near his hinds and chased her off very aggressively. She was glad of the open gate. Never ceases to amaze me just how strong a social structure deer have.

Well if you ever need a hand getting rid of 'Wild' deer mate - you know where to find me!

This might be a stupid question - if the wild ones can jump in, what prevents yours from jumping out? I'd also be interested to know what height the fence is that they are clearing?
    MS

MS
    fenced deer if happy as a general rule won't entertain jumping out as they don't need too
    if pushed and persecuted into a corner or barrier then it might change
    wild jump in to get to those deer inside as they feel they need to
    as for height of fence if a deer can look over it then it feels it can jump it
    above that then it becomes the unkown so will hav to be pushed to that extent unless it can crawl underneath

The fence is 2 metres but there are banks on the outside along some fences which give them a height advantage. Young wild stags will clear that going out when pursued hard by one of mine! Once in, they very quickly change their mind. Netting fences are harder for a deer to jump I think because they are not as easy to judge accurately compared to a more solid barrier. Just think of the number of wild deer you find hung up by the back legs having tried to go over a stock fence.

Jumping is also perfected by practice, wild deer get plenty, mine get none.
    They hopefully have no need if I provide everything they want here.

I guess that another consideration is the ground height on either side of the fence!

Remember the 'Deer Leaps' bounding the old deer parks?

High fence from one side, but easily cleared from the other.

Cyberstag,
    Was this one of your 'mane-less' stags that did the chasing - and if so, how the hell did you stop him exiting the field in hot pursuit of the wild hind?

rgds

Ian

It amazes me sometimes to see just how high the buggers can leap! Even a stocky little Muntjac will effortlessly leap a sheep stock fence with a double strand above. Most amazing one I ever saw was with Deer Man. We had a smallish wild Fallow Doe stuck behind a 2m chain link security fence held on concrete posts with an angled top and 3 strands of barbed wire above that. We stalked in slowly to cull it but it decided otherwise! It leapt so high at full speed hitting the very top of the chain link. The small securing loops gave way and the deer somehow shot through the gap between the chain link and barbed wire, landed in a heap on the other side, got up and ran off!! I wouldn't have believed it possible if i hadn't seen it with my own eyes.
    I have outdoor pig units all over one of my permissions, and we now have reports of wild boar in the area. I'm wondering whether we could have similar problems there? Lots of disease spreading implications there as originally mentioned!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker
    Most amazing one I ever saw was with Deer Man. We had a smallish wild Fallow Doe stuck behind a 2m chain link security fence held on concrete posts with an angled top and 3 strands of barbed wire above that. We stalked in slowly to cull it but it decided otherwise! It leapt so high at full speed hitting the very top of the chain link. The small securing loops gave way and the deer somehow shot through the gap between the chain link and barbed wire, landed in a heap on the other side, got up and ran off!!
    We never did catch up with her did we!

MS Boar can clear a sheep fence without to much problem. If they can't go over its normaly no problem for them to go under. They are not to keen on the electric fence though. I would think a boar after a sow in heat would take some stopping.