Thread: Sap on grass field - any ideas

Sap on grass field - any ideas

I was stalking last night in SW Scotland and on skirting a grass field to a hight seat in waist high grass it started to feel like Velcro was on my legs. When I checked there was a sap like substance on my trousers and worse still it was all over the synthetic stock of my rifle. I had no option but to return to my car and clean the sap off the rifle.There were no large trees in the area and only a hedge bordering the field. When I looked at the grass there was what appeared to be lots of water droplets on the grass which was the sap.
    Any ideas what this sap is?

ATB - 243 Stalker

I could be wrong but at this time of year and on ready warm sunny days sugars are of a high content in the grass.idealy if a farmer is cutting silage he wants to cut it after noon to evening when the sugars are high.i have seen the sugars that high it sticks the tractor wheels.

Regards kev.
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

We used to call it cuckoo spit when I were a sprog in Dumfries.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cuckoo spit.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	30029

​Is that the stuff?
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Charadam - thanks for the reply but the droplets were a sticky clear liquid and single droplets on the grass rather than a mass, cuckoo spit I am aware of.

Kev - thanks for the reply, its the first time I have ever come across the grass secreting sugars and I think you have given me the answer.

Has anyone else encountered this, it's not pleasant stuff when on your rifle, hands or clothing but at least it easily cleans off.

ATB.

Noticed it this morning when I was out but I'm also in SW Scotland.

David

After further research this might be a "slime mould" that occurs after cold, damp weather.

​As if we have had any of that this summer!
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Quote Originally Posted by 243 Stalker View Post
    Charadam - thanks for the reply but the droplets were a sticky clear liquid and single droplets on the grass rather than a mass, cuckoo spit I am aware of.

Kev - thanks for the reply, its the first time I have ever come across the kgrass secreting sugars and I think you have given me the answer.

Has anyone else encountered this, it's not pleasant stuff when on your rifle, hands or clothing but at least it easily cleans off.

ATB.
    No problem glad to help

regards kev
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.