Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rcbs dies

rcbs dies

Now heres 1 for you all.... I have been given a set of rcbs dies for my 308. Now following the intructions I ran 100 once fired sako cases through the f/l sizer. Now I did this before I had my rifle. Now on getting the rifle Ive tried the brass and f me it wont fit. My mate has been over for cuppa and he brought some f/l sized for his rifle and they were spot on. Now that brass has been fired in his rifle and worked back 2 thou. What do you think the problem is??

Nutty

Have you checked casex length?

Quote Originally Posted by wikedwickedmotox View Post
    Have you checked casex length?
    Yes bud I should have said sized and trimmed.

Nutty

+1 also check you have ajusted down the die as per as this sounds like head space thay may need a bump down

Might sound very obvious but as you were given the die I take it you've checked it's stamped .308 win.

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    +1 also check you have ajusted down the die as per as this sounds like head space thay may need a bump down
    Been done bub and Im almost 100% a headspace problem.

Nutty

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnraider View Post
    Might sound very obvious but as you were given the die I take it you've checked it's stamped .308 win.
    Defo 308 dies. They were my mates old set

nutty

Tight chamber.

I have a 308 Howa 1500 with the same problem, it's right on the edge of spec but still passes Go/NoGo gauges OK. I tried RCBS, Hornady and Lee dies, all the full length sized cases would drop into my Steyr but were too big for the Howa.

Ended up getting my RFD to mill a few thou" off the bottom of the die, enough to allow an extra turn. Screwing the die down an extra 1/4 turn to bump the shoulders back did the job. Also bought an RCBS Small Base 308 die and those sized cases fit OK as well.
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    Tight chamber.

I have a 308 Howa 1500 with the same problem, it's right on the edge of spec but still passes Go/NoGo gauges OK. I tried RCBS, Hornady and Lee dies, all the full length sized cases would drop into my Steyr but were too big for the Howa.

Ended up getting my RFD to mill a few thou" off the bottom of the die, enough to allow an extra turn. Screwing the die down an extra 1/4 turn to bump the shoulders back did the job. Also bought an RCBS Small Base 308 die and those sized cases fit OK as well.
    The answer i was looking for. It turns out that Im using a lee shell holder which is .02" deeper than a rcbs shell holder. Its stopping the case fully entering the die and sizing properly. My mate told me that he had to really screw down the die and also has the same problem with his 22.250. And he uses a lee holder aswell...

Nutty
    Last edited by nuttyspaniel; 06-07-2013 at 21:20.

run the shell holder over some 600 grit sand paper to take a bit of meat off it