Thread: Another Decoying Clip

Another Decoying Clip

Took the dogs out for an hour today. The old spaniel just had a pyometra removed about a month and a half ago and has a mammary carcinoma but she still seems happy and managed a couple of retrieves.

Hi Mate do you use a magnet at all?

No magnet. Would use a bouncer/floater if there was a breeze but my one is broken. I've just been using 10 shells and adding dead birds.

Thanks - - enjoyed that.

JR
    " not the end of the world, - - but you can see it from here ! "

Nice to see an honest video that shows the misses as well as the ones on target.

Is it just the camera, or are some of those shots quite a long way out? If so, nice shooting!

A couple of thoughts:

The birds taken on the left seem to be the closest, and downwind, so I wonder if you wouldn't have made it easier on yourself siting the decoys 10-15 wards further upwind of the hide since this would bring the incoming birds in front of you more and ensure they were looking away from the hide on their approach?

Also, there's little sound on the video -at least I can only just make out the sound of the shots- so I can't tell if you're using a call, but I find it helps to bring them in, and if you then "go a bit mad" on the call once they've come over to take a look, this often brings them closer still.

That said, it looks like you did all right, so fair dos to you, and your dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    Nice to see an honest video that shows the misses as well as the ones on target.

Is it just the camera, or are some of those shots quite a long way out? If so, nice shooting!

A couple of thoughts:

The birds taken on the left seem to be the closest, and downwind, so I wonder if you wouldn't have made it easier on yourself siting the decoys 10-15 wards further upwind of the hide since this would bring the incoming birds in front of you more and ensure they were looking away from the hide on their approach?

Also, there's little sound on the video -at least I can only just make out the sound of the shots- so I can't tell if you're using a call, but I find it helps to bring them in, and if you then "go a bit mad" on the call once they've come over to take a look, this often brings them closer still.

That said, it looks like you did all right, so fair dos to you, and your dogs!

Thanks for the tips! I might try and move the decoys slightly to one side so that they aren't flying directly at my hide and seeing me. I was crouched right down the other day and one got to about 25 yards away and flared off,(and I'm sure I didn't move so it must have seen through the hide). Most shots are around 25 yards. A few at 35/40. There's one in my other video that was easily 55 yards but typically its hard to actually see it on film I tend to do a crow call by mouth so I've edited out all the annoying noises! I really need to get an actual call as I totally lost my voice a few weekends ago!

meant to say that I could only shoot to the left hand side and forward. There was telegraph wires to the left which restricted where I could actually place the hide and shoot. There was houses to the right,(about 400 yards away) but I left everything just to play it safe. Typically a lot of birds took the right as a flight line!

Quote Originally Posted by JRoe View Post
    Thanks - - enjoyed that.

JR

​Thanks!