Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound moderators questions 17 Rem

Sound moderators questions 17 Rem

Evening all

Does anyone know if it is possible to rethread a sound moderator to a larger thread diameter e.g. from a 1/2 UNF to a 17x1

also would it be foolhardy to use a 17hmr moderator on a 17 Rem.... I'm assuming that it would be !!

If any of you have any specific recommendations regarding moderator choice for a 17 rem I would like to hear them. Am currently considering a cal specific DM80, another Third eye Spartan (have 2 already) or a one less charlie mod

Other suggestions greatfully received

20cal dm80 works very well on my CZ527 varmint.
    Easy to strip and clean, not overly heavy ( I can only compare to T8's), and good sound moderation.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

A rifle smith will remove the 1/2 UNF thread and re-thread for 17 x 1 assuming your barrel is thick enough to take it - usually a varmint type profile.

Definitely do not use a HMR mod on the 17 rem unless you have suicidal tendencies.

The 17 cal specific DM80 is very good - If you like the over barrel design. I prefer the ASE CQB or SL5, both of which do a great job of hushing the 17 rem..

ATB
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    Evening all

Does anyone know if it is possible to rethread a sound moderator to a larger thread diameter e.g. from a 1/2 UNF to a 17x1

also would it be foolhardy to use a 17hmr moderator on a 17 Rem.... I'm assuming that it would be !!

If any of you have any specific recommendations regarding moderator choice for a 17 rem I would like to hear them. Am currently considering a cal specific DM80, another Third eye Spartan (have 2 already) or a one less charlie mod

Other suggestions greatfully received
    Am I reading this right - You want to rethread the mod ie to fit an existing threaded barrel with the different larger thread? I think one answer is about rethreading the barrel, so can you just clarify?

Also, have a look at the Hardy Gen IV, as there's a rimfire model out now

Cheers
    iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Agree with Alan above rimfire mods should never be used on CF cal, i use DM80 on both my 17hmr and 17rem but they are both 17 cal RF and CF mods great mods that do the job and can be stripped for cleaning.

Can't help you with the rethreading - I would recommend ASE sound mods however. I have one for my 17 Rem (.22 cal mod) and it works extremely well.

On the subject of using a RF mod on a centerfire (any centerfire even .22 hornet) DO NOT DO IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES....!! There is a high probability it will fail sending shrapnel in all directions. I've seen it happen and its scary.

Colin at OLC built me a stainless non-strippable for my Sako A1 20Practical.... smaller and lighter than my Zet Z Compacts and, more importantly, very quiet.

I'm impressed!

's me 5p's worth.

atb
    Fizz

Thanks for the replies everyone, yes I was asking about changing the thread on a moderator rather than recutting the barrel. I have considered that option too so that I could use a mod off my 308. Not sure just how effective it would be though. Reason I was asking about the 17hmr was after watching a YouTube vid where they were reviewing a rimfire mod that I thought they said would then be tried on a 223. Seemed like a bad idea to me but wasn't sure what others were using.
    Cheers
    S

if your interested i have a dm80 .222 mod id sell its 1/2" thread if any good let me no
    cheers allan

Another DM 80 user on my rem 17