Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Rifle?

Which Rifle?

I want to get a .223 rifle and really don't know what to get. It shall be used for occasional fox control mainly. I'm left handed but have always shot with right handed bolt action rifles and my other rifle is right handed, so I want to keep it the same. So really I'm after an off the shelf rifle with an ambidextrous stock. It would be silly to be shooting a rifle with a big lump of wood (or plastic or whatever) on the wrong side to my cheek. New or nearly new would do.

It won't see a fantastic amount of use, so to get an expensive one seems a bit wasteful. From a general search around on the internet and in local shops, the choice is limited. Tikka T3's I guess are one option, ten a penny though. The Howa 1500 seems possible. I could get their inclusive deal and maybe use the scope that comes with it on my rimfire and get a better scope. But are they a little cheap and cheerful?

Any suggestions as to what I could look out for?

Something like this perhaps?

Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

If you look on the same site there's a lefty there too thats not the stutzen version.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Interesting. A bit left field, but interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    I want to get a .223 rifle and really don't know what to get. It shall be used for occasional fox control mainly. I'm left handed but have always shot with right handed bolt action rifles and my other rifle is right handed, so I want to keep it the same. So really I'm after an off the shelf rifle with an ambidextrous stock. It would be silly to be shooting a rifle with a big lump of wood (or plastic or whatever) on the wrong side to my cheek. New or nearly new would do.

It won't see a fantastic amount of use, so to get an expensive one seems a bit wasteful. From a general search around on the internet and in local shops, the choice is limited. Tikka T3's I guess are one option, ten a penny though. The Howa 1500 seems possible. I could get their inclusive deal and maybe use the scope that comes with it on my rimfire and get a better scope. But are they a little cheap and cheerful?

Any suggestions as to what I could look out for?
    I'm not following you. If you shoot from the left shoulder any stock would do, apart from a righthanded stock with a rollover cheekpiece. If from the right shoulder then any RH stock will work....... and there are zillions to choose from.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Probably not making myself clear. I shoot from the left shoulder but want a right handed action but ambidextrous stock, ie. not with a R/H cheekpiece. So for example most Tikka T3's would do, but a Sako, all of which seem to have a cheekpiece would not. I suppose there are quite a few to choose from, I was just wondering what other lefties who may be in the same circumstances do.

Hello Pedro, in the same quandary as you and looking for a 223, right handed with an ambidextrous stock as my son is left handed (I'm right handed).
    I've looked at the Tikka T3, Kimber Pro Hunter, Howa, Remmington and Weatherby but still not sure which to go for but I've handled the Kimber seen it apart and like it. It's a bit more money (1,200) but appears to be built the best. After the Kimber I think I would choose the T3 Light Stainless. . . we shall see.

Howa 1500 with a Hogue stock. I know these are budget rifles but I am impressed with my .22-250.

Quote Originally Posted by The Burpster View Post
    Howa 1500 with a Hogue stock. I know these are budget rifles but I am impressed with my .22-250.
    ​Is it the varmint barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Something like this perhaps?

That is a nice looking rifle limulus