Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flattened shoulders on bullet seating

Flattened shoulders on bullet seating

Hi guys, I was just setting up some new rcbs dies and had this happen when seating the bullet. Have you any idea what caused it or is it me being a numpty? The round on the left is the offending article with a resized case and one of my usual rounds on the right for comparison. Thanks for taking a peek. Doing this off my phone so apologies if the pic is dodgy etc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

you need to screw the seating stem further out
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

thanks spud, I did wonder if it was going to be something painfully simple. normally end up having to set up each time I reload anyway but ive never had this happen so thought id better ask you more enlightened people

Quote Originally Posted by 1967spud View Post
    you need to screw the seating stem further out
    And, possibly, the die screwed too far down into the press? ....... it shouldn't be set touching the shell holder.

Fizz

its not touching fizz there is a minute gap but ill take it out and start again

Yes you've set seating die too far down - you've got to be careful when producing a roll crimp, it doesn't take much to squash the case down making chambering difficult or impossible (hard to tell with the naked eye also). You've gone to the extreme on this occasion. Also if you've annealed the brass check to make sure you've not over annealed and made the case dangerously soft.

Ziggy,
    ​Sounds as if it's too far down..... just read a set of instructions with one of my RCBS..
    Without crimping: Place cartridge (without bullet) in ram and run to top of stroke. Screw die in til you feel it touch the case neck, back off a full turn and tighten lock ring. This leaves about a 16th of an inch gap tween the ram and the die base.
    Then back off your seating stem and add a bullet and go from there.

Yeah..... I made the mistake the other week but stopped short of compressing a case neck.

Cheers

Fizz

hahaha cheers guys, operator error strikes again.....

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    hahaha cheers guys, operator error strikes again.....
    NUMPTY

ooooooooooooh hark at her, I was just about to phone you. you've ruined it for yourself now......no biscuits for you chunky.