Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: custom knife

custom knife

Ive been a lover of Puuko knifes for a long time now, I just love the traditional materials they use along with some of the best blade makers in the world. I have my knife on its way to me from finland
    made buy a very talented knife maker joonas, the blade has a bevel blade made from UHC steel, forged by himself !! brass bolster, with a brass inlayed rivet, and birch burl handle, along with the scandi sheath. hope you like it!! as much as I do.
    Last edited by jewfish; 08-07-2013 at 20:56.

I have been admiring the Kallioniemi puukkos for a while on BB. His work is exceptional. Simplicity and elegance! The second knife I have designed and being made at the moment is a puukko. It took me ages to figure out what makes his work so appealing. I now think it is the fact that handle and blade form continous lines on the spine and the belly of his knives. Most other puukkos look as if a blad was stuck into the traditional barrel shape handle. With Joona's work one is the continuations of the other. I tried to incorporate that on the puukko that I have designed.

There is no doubt in my mind that he is going to become world renowned for his work. You have a stunning knife. I hope you will enjoy using it.

Peri

very nice enjoy, make sure you use it

Enjoy it, and feel lucky as I came within a hairs width of buying that when it was first listed in BB.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Peri View Post
    I have been admiring the Kallioniemi puukkos for a while on BB. His work is exceptional. Simplicity and elegance! The second knife I have designed and being made at the moment is a puukko. It took me ages to figure out what makes his work so appealing. I now think it is the fact that handle and blade form continous lines on the spine and the belly of his knives. Most other puukkos look as if a blad was stuck into the traditional barrel shape handle. With Joona's work one is the continuations of the other. I tried to incorporate that on the puukko that I have designed.

There is no doubt in my mind that he is going to become world renowned for his work. You have a stunning knife. I hope you will enjoy using it.

Peri
    ​I was just about to link you to this peri , what beautiful work .

Neil I already has a design in the pipe line for another Puuko from joonas, this knife was an impulse buy really It was a toss up as he had two going on BB so I grab it, have you seen the knife he made with the mammoth tooth? What a masterpiece!! He has enough m/ tooth to make another but to be honest it was a bit pricey for me, but I must say I was very tempted.

Very nice work but the handle design on these knives make me a bit nervous. Looks too easy to slip and go straight onto the presumably razor sharp blade. However they have been around and in use for ages so views anybody ?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Very nice work but the handle design on these knives make me a bit nervous. Looks too easy to slip and go straight onto the presumably razor sharp blade. However they have been around and in use for ages so views anybody ?
    I'd say that if you're using it properly and for what it was made for then there would be no issue. As you say, a design that has been thoroughly tried and tested over generations...

Redneck one picture shows the bottom of the handle it is tapered and not barrel shape,
    peri I would love to see your design when it arrives could you post some pics please?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Puuko a aren't a stabbing knife mate , just for cutting