Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sako Finfire / 17 HM2

Sako Finfire / 17 HM2

All,

I've just been reading a thread which mentions converting a Sako Finfire .22 LR into a .17 HM2. I understand that the barrel unclamps and a new, .17, barrel is clamped in its place. The mag and bolt is the same.

I'd be interested to hear how difficult / expensive it is to do the above. Also, is .17 HM 2 useful for rabbits and how easy is it to buy.

cheers,

Bob

P.S.

Fizbangwallop, I've started a new thread so as not to crash the previous one, but would be very interested to hear your experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Dovebob View Post
    All,

I've just been reading a thread which mentions converting a Sako Finfire .22 LR into a .17 HM2. I understand that the barrel unclamps and a new, .17, barrel is clamped in its place. The mag and bolt is the same.

I'd be interested to hear how difficult / expensive it is to do the above. Also, is .17 HM 2 useful for rabbits and how easy is it to buy.
    thats the important bit
    if you find a source, buy lots!
    get a decent allowance in order to do so

I think the HM2 is the bunny gun the HV .22lr should have been
    out to 120yds it is pretty much point and shoot, further is doable on a still day or with lots of practice
    very sweet little round that doesn't disembowel or mince them on impact

not sure about the Finfire barrel change, I thought they were standard screw in barrels
    The Sako Quad is the one that just unclamps
    it does so very neatly and without loss of zero

Bewsher,

Thanks for the info. Availability seems to be a significant factor.

The barrel on my Finfire is held in place with a screw that clamps it into the action. A barrel swap doesn't look too difficult, although I don't think it was specifically designed or intended to be a switch barrel. The action needs to be taken out of the stock in order to swap it over, so its not like the quad in that sense.

I'm not sure how easily available the .17 barrels are, or how difficult it is to get the head spacing correct (although I assume that's less of an issue on a rimfire.

Cheers,

Bob

Bewsher,

Thanks for the info. Availability seems to be a significant factor.

The barrel on my Finfire is held in place with a screw that clamps it into the action. A barrel swap doesn't look too difficult, although I don't think it was specifically designed or intended to be a switch barrel. The action needs to be taken out of the stock in order to swap it over, so its not like the quad in that sense.

I'm not sure how easily available the .17 barrels are, or how difficult it is to get the head spacing correct (although I assume that's less of an issue on a rimfire.

Cheers,

Bob
    headspaces off the rim so that won't be an issue and to be honest with the pressures involved its not an issue (its the reason you can shoot shorts in LR chambers) unless they have cut the chamber waaaaay too deep

​I am lucky as there are two places that I can get ammo, to be honest unless you are shooting thousands it won't be an issue

The barrel on the Finnfire can be swapped as you say but you need a go gauge but not required with the Quad.

York Guns had a lot of HM2 ammo in stock (Eley) when I enquired but that was 2 or 3 years ago. I can't remember the amount they said they had in but I remember thinking at the time they would never run out.

I seem to remember that Venom Arms in the West Midlands had something to do with that conversion.

Yes steve pope use to do this conversion. But richard pope of swift rifles got some of the lothar barrels when venom closed its doors.

Richard would be worth a call

Let me get this straight.

You have a perfectly good Finfire in 22lr. You are proposing to pull the tube on this very desirable rifle and replace it with a 17HM2, a round that basically died at birth?

Barking.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

As far as I know, I can swap between barrels without causing any harm to the rifle and can refit the .22 one when I need to.

As far as I know, I can swap between barrels without causing any harm to the rifle and can refit the .22 one when I need to.
    Sorry Bob, it was meant to be a slightly humorous comment.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......