Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medal Bucks

Medal Bucks

I heard secondhand that a silver medal standard roebuck was shot on Broadlands Estate by a German stalker last week or so,ok they are in season...my point is ,as this was the stand buck for the area and was uninjured,is this good deer management or " big bucks" fever(pun intended) so near the rut? All views welcome....I know my view it is the latter

Cervus how do you know for sure this was the dominant buck in that area ?
    Last edited by Double four; 09-07-2013 at 10:58.

I shoot any buck in a given area, have done for 20 years, shoot more medals now then ever and roe weights and numbers have improved dramatically. If he is medal class and likely 6+ years his genes are in the pool. He may also mate with a doe from poor stock and after years as a dog breeder and service manager on pig units without knowing BOTH parents its a waste of time. IMO
    Last edited by www.yorkshireroestalking.; 09-07-2013 at 11:13.

Quote Originally Posted by www.yorkshireroestalking. View Post
    I shoot any buck in a given area, have done for 20 years, shoot more medals now then ever and roe weights and numbers have improved dramatically. If he is medal class and likely 6+ years his genes are in the pool. He may also mate with a doe from poor stock and after years as a dog breeder and service manager on pig units without knowing BOTH parents its a waste of time. IMO
    +1

Broadlands is a large estate ( as you know as you had the stalking there for a while) so who knows where the buck was located. If it was living close to the M27 or the Romsey road then the decision to take it before it gets involved in an RTA is up to the stalker. Same as if it was ruining a new fruit plantation, old as the hills, or some other reason it needed to be shot.
    People all manage ground in different ways and whoever has the lease there now would have had the reason.
    Find out who has the lease and call them up to ask??

In an ideal world the dominate bucks would be left ,

I take all of the points made on board...the view was expressed by a very experienced roe deer manager and as I said, a few weeks would probably have made no difference,I am assured that the animal was the stand buck,plantation damage etc is a different issue,I manage what would be termed trophy fallow and sika and I leave them to rut in peace,the venison is rank anyway,,( in addition to roe elsewhere)..if the yearlings have been taken out the stand buck should be left in peace to rut and maybe shot later, the vacuum created by removing him may result in a better buck coming in... accepted,I am afraid that a return on the money invested on the lease is realising a good trophy return and I maintain that that can blur the edges in the management of deer,offset by the venison sale,as in all threads people,s views will vary and one piece of ground and it,s deer management will as well.

I too shoot any Buck in front of me and I fail to see how you would create a true cull plan with Roe unless they are park deer......JMHO

Martin

I am sure such a prestigious estate such as Broadlands will have a management scheme in place for Roe, but then again I might be wrong.

Much depends on the quality of the ground, cover, feed and genetics within the population. However if the silver medal head was taken it does not automatically mean it was a young beast going up, it was more than likely an older beast which has already spread its genes and it which case it will make little or no difference to culling it at this time of year.

I might also pose the question as to why so many people jump on the bandwagon when a medal head is taken and straight away think it is the wrong thing to do?

Roe Deer management is about attaining a sustainable population with good solid breeding stock, hopefully producing a viable population of medal quality animals that can be harvested every year. Not all ground is able to support this, but I would have thought Broadlands would have been big enough to support such a system.

ATB
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

I would love to make a comment on this but will refrain. @EMcC, what do you have to say??!!