6.5x55 load data for mid weight bullets with N160

Effnjeff

Can anyone supply any load data for 6.5 Swede, in a modern action, using bullets from 120 to 140gn and N160 powder only? I have just bought a tub of N160 as I think the powders tried so far, with the exception of H4350, haven't suited the Swede very well.
Naturally I'll be working up a load, but it would be interesting to know what others have achieved, especially with chrono results.
H
Thanks in advance.

120gr nosler BTs, 47.5grains of n160, OAL 76mm - sub one inch groups at 100yrds from tikka t3lite. Not Chronographed but guessing somewhere around 2750ish.

Thanks guys, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm after.
I've been testing relatively fast powders so far, and the highlights accuracy wise were H4350 and N150, but the speeds were lowish, and pushing harder gave pressure signs. N550 and Re17 got faster, but accuracy has not been so good. N560 and Re22 gave good speed with the heavier bullets, but again only so so accuracy. All of the above gave quite low load densities too.
I'm hoping N160 might be the answer.
My rifle is a Sako 85 with the 22 1/2" barrel.

Just got back from a very good day at Minsterley load testing for my recently acquired Tikka 695 in 6.5x55.

I am a very happy bunny because a number of loads are spot on.

Viht N160, 46.5 gn, 129 gn Hornady SST. Av 2690 f/sec. 5 shot group, .35" centre to centre.

Also tested 3 loads using Tubal 5000 but you only want N160.

The best part is the MPI for all loads tested is within 3/4"!

Just got back from a very good day at Minsterley load testing for my recently acquired Tikka 695 in 6.5x55.

I am a very happy bunny because a number of loads are spot on.

Viht N160, 46.5 gn, 129 gn Hornady SST. Av 2690 f/sec. 5 shot group, .35" centre to centre.

Also tested 3 loads using Tubal 5000 but you only want N160.

The best part is the MPI for all loads tested is within 3/4"!

Your 129gn SST load is producing the kind of accuracy I like, but will it go faster and retain accuracy? I was trying them with Re17 from between 2800 and just over 3000fps and was getting just under 1moa out to about 200 yards.
Maybe they prefer going slower?

In my case, the group began to widen above 46.5gn however the maximum load I had with me was 47.5 (I work in .5gn increments at this stage) and the first signs of pressure were apparent.

I am happy with the 46.5gn load as it is accurate and deer legal (2070 lb/ft) and I know that most of my deer will be taken at under 200 yards. I also know that the terminal ballistics will be OK.

It is often said that the Swede is happier slower, but I don't necessarily agree.

iv got the same rifle with the same barrel lenth i use 50.5grn of vit 560 with a 120grn nosler bt seated five thou of the land sub half inch at 100mts 2860fps norma brass cci 200lr
Thanks guys, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm after.
I've been testing relatively fast powders so far, and the highlights accuracy wise were H4350 and N150, but the speeds were lowish, and pushing harder gave pressure signs. N550 and Re17 got faster, but accuracy has not been so good. N560 and Re22 gave good speed with the heavier bullets, but again only so so accuracy. All of the above gave quite low load densities too.
I'm hoping N160 might be the answer.
My rifle is a Sako 85 with the 22 1/2" barrel.

Thanks, that is really useful info.
I got the 120gn Amax and 123 Scenar to just shy of 3000fps with a 45.6gn of N550, and with good accuracy, but so far not had great success with the 129gn SST or 140gn Amax.

Of course, the Amax and the Scenar are purely for paper.
I'd like to get the SST shooting as well as they do, but I'm at early days trying to develop that load. I have a box of 130gn Accubonds, but they were so expensive that I'm saving them for a rainy day!

hi shoot a 6.5/55 sako myself loading vit 160 44 grns 140 sierra game kings heads tight groups 2660 average fps shooting fallow good load

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! That's like naming "The Scottish Play" on here - unless you can confirm that they are purely for static targets, in which case...

:popcorn:

Now I can use A-Max on game and the only people that will criticize me are you guys!
Seriously though, I sectioned Interlock and A-Max bullets in the milling machine and the Interlock had jackets 30% thicker than the A-Max. FWIW.~Muir

Now I can use A-Max on game and the only people that will criticize me are you guys!
Seriously though, I sectioned Interlock and A-Max bullets in the milling machine and the Interlock had jackets 30% thicker than the A-Max. FWIW.~Muir

Hi Muir

I only use 140gr SSTs, and by my untrained eye, they look identical to A-Max. Reloaded, so if asked on a range, then yes of course they are A-Max...

Cheers
iain

:D I'll bet!

I have some SST's in 30 cal I have never loaded. I should mill one and see if there is any real difference. This will draw the usual "irresponsible American" comments but I have a friend that shoots mule deer with 30 caliber, 168 grain Match Kings. When I asked him about it he described the performance a "Bang. Flop." affair. His comment is that a well hit deer doesn't take a lot of killing. Having killed deer with unjacketed cast bullets I can attest to that with the caveat that the shot must be good. There is no accounting for bad marksmanship no matter what bullet you use.

The biggest injustice done to game animals is the lack of marksmanship skills of the shooter. Even here in the US, "sticks" and tripods are becoming the crutch for close shots. A wounded deer that needs to be finished from an off-hand position by one of these guys is going to suffer because they won't be able to make the follow up shot. (rant over) ~Muir

Theses are the results from using 46.5, 47.5 & 48.5 grains of n160, nosler 120bts OAL 76mm. (All at 100m)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Back