Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ferret breeding

ferret breeding

Im not having a good time this year , i keep loosing litters and the problem seems to be the jills arent giving any milk . Their fed on dry food and flesh , they get milk with an egg in it and always have full water bottles . Any ideas

At what age are you losing the kits?

Martin

from about day 2 on , the hutches are clean , cant get my head round it . I never had problems before even in the bad old days when they were fed bread and milk

any chance their getting to hot, I know that the temp in the hutch is often hotter than outside, I have put an electric fan blowing in the front of the cage just to make sure.

I've had a good year as far as ferret breeding goes. too good in fact.
    Occasionally kits will die but as a rule ferrets know what they are doing and provided your jills are well handled there shouldn't really be any problems. The extremely hot weather doesn'y help and shading is quite important as young ferrets can get overheated and die.
    Don't overdo the egg by the way, certainly I wouldn't give it on a daily basis. Make sure the flesh is fresh and don't leave any odd bits laying about. Are the kits dying off one by one or are they going in batches, also have you checked to see if the jill is giving milk OK. Finally how many jills and kits are you talking about here?

Are they dieing or is she eating them?
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

its 3 jill in seperate hutches , any flesh is hung from a hook so they dont drag it into the beds , their shaded but the kits seem to be going one at a time as the jills dont seem to be giving milk . I think theres a 3 and a 5 left but I dont look too hard even though the jills are very tame

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    its 3 jill in seperate hutches , any flesh is hung from a hook so they dont drag it into the beds , their shaded but the kits seem to be going one at a time as the jills dont seem to be giving milk . I think theres a 3 and a 5 left but I dont look too hard even though the jills are very tame
    Are you finding them dead or are they being eaten?
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

How old are these kits Trouble? You can often lose the odd one or two from a litter early on but once they are about ten days old they should be fine.
    personally I wouldn't stop the jill taking flesh into the nest, you would be surprised just how early the kits will start sucking on it. Once mine are a couple of weeks old I start handling them briefly. give the jill a drop of milk in the run and you can then go into the nest. You get the occasional jill that's a bit touchy but not often.
    The sooner you start just getting the kits used to your hands the better.

My team of jills has reduced in number recently due to age and recently one to illness which was to be my breeding jill.
    To those that have any surplus jills of the smaller type and would like a good home with long term ferreter I would like to restock for the up coming season.
    Please pm me if you can help.
    Thanks