Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling air rifles

Selling air rifles

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I heard somewhere that it is now illegal to sell aire rifles AS A TRADER without a firearms certificate please can someone confirm this or put me right as me friend is selling them as a market trader & is a bit concerned he is ok to do so??
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

Yep, it is illegal to sell them as a trader without a licence.

I do believe that as a trader you will need to be a RFD.

Ian.

Illegal needs to be RFD.

Thanks guys I thought so but thought I'd ask first before I opened my big gob and got my foot stuck in it again.
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    I do believe that as a trader you will need to be a RFD.

Ian.

shop down the road from me that sells airguns that isnt an RFD (they lost there certificate!)

is there no distinction?

If, by way of trade or business, they are selling airguns other than airsoft or those classed as a toy (bb guns less than 1 joule muzzle energy or those old airguns listed as vintage etc.), then they are illegal. These are the only distinctions that I am aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    shop down the road from me that sells airguns that isnt an RFD (they lost there certificate!)

is there no distinction?
    If that is the case then they will be breaking the law. Are you sure that they don't have a RFD ticket! A shop not too far from where I used to work only sold air rifles and it took them ages to get their RFD from South Wales police, and they were required to install a monitored intruder alarm system similar to one installed in regular RFD premises.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I should clarifi he's a market trader so sells at different venues having leased a stall for the day not in permanent premises.

Not absolutely certain but that may well cause him problems. In particular I am thinking that the situation woud be similar to RFDs attending game fairs and having to obtain the necessary registrations (variations/permits ?) to operate away from their normal place of business. The information is all in the guidance to police document.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.