Thread: AOLQ question

AOLQ question

Are the police breaking the law by not allowing AOLQ on a FAC?
    Apologies if this is already in a thread. I have recently been granted my FAC for .17, .22 and .243. the rimfires have for vermin/ground game. whereas the 243 has for deer and fox. All rifles had the mentor stipulation for quarry but have just sent back with a letter from my mentor to say i am sufficient in the safe use of a rifle and can use them alone. I emailed the woman at lancashire police to ask if I could have the AOLQ condition added, just in case more than anything, but she replied that they only add AOLQ for open cert holders. Is this allowed?

Regards, John

What have SACS-BASC-NGO? etc said in response to you question as one of the Orgs might give you a more defined positive answer for the sake of a quick phone call.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

The ACPO has recommended AOLQ but as ever the final say is with each individual department so really yours isn't breaking the law it just isn't accepting the current guidelines. The other thing in that release was relying more on training than mentoring so really it could be best not to rock the boat too early.

2p worth
    your post states(Q, I have recently been granted my FAC, All rifles had the mentor stipulation for quarry but have just sent back with a letter from my mentor to say i am sufficient in the safe use of a rifle and can use them alone.) so thay felt you were not ready to go hunting on your own when thay gave you your cert but now you have sent in the letter saying you are ! how long did /were you under your mentor ! as by the sounds of it from the email thay still feel you are not ready for an open cert as you say you are new to rifle shooting but as for the aolq essex are still selective on who gets it !
    just enjoy you shooting for a while and request it later, you should no what you can and can't shot with what cal rifle, so just shoot within the rules for now feller . be happy with your lot for now slowdown and chill feller no race winners in this sport.

i'v had an open cert forever ,i mentor and only within the last 20 weeks have i got the aolq and had all the can' and can'ts removed from my cert but it has never stopped me from enjoying a fine sporting life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ze Bonito View Post
    Are the police breaking the law by not allowing AOLQ on a FAC?
    Apologies if this is already in a thread. I have recently been granted my FAC for .17, .22 and .243. the rimfires have for vermin/ground game. whereas the 243 has for deer and fox. All rifles had the mentor stipulation for quarry but have just sent back with a letter from my mentor to say i am sufficient in the safe use of a rifle and can use them alone. I emailed the woman at lancashire police to ask if I could have the AOLQ condition added, just in case more than anything, but she replied that they only add AOLQ for open cert holders. Is this allowed?

Regards, John
    Last edited by paul o'; 10-07-2013 at 13:03.

So, You comply with the non existent requirement for a mentor, ... Your mentor passes you off/ back to them as fit& competent, they then refuse aolq? What,s the point? Are they doubting your mentor as fit?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!