AICS Action bedding issues

Cyres

A couple of months ago I had to remove my Remmy 700 action from my AICS to resolve a trigger problem (this will be subject to another post).

Anway its pretty simple as the action is held in by two machine screws. Reassembly was just the reverse process. Simple so I thought.

Anyway on reassembly it appeared that the action was somehow pivitoting on the recoil lug but a quck measure of it and the recess suggested that it was not the issue. After much googling I was none the wiser as epoxy bedding of actions in AICS is an emotive subject. Anyway the problem remained and I was unhappy that the action wasn't going in flat, stress free. I have a Border Barrels 26" stainless heavy flutted barrel and on careful examination it appered that the ACIS side plates were causing the issue.

So I removed side plates (never done this before) and revealed the alluminium chasis. Refitting the action to it was simple, plenty of clearance on the recoil lug and the action fitted precisely into the chasis lovely and flat, gently torked up the two cap screws and the job was good one. Refitted plastic side plates which indeed were gripping the barrel at the joint with the action.

Quick re zero required 4 clicks left adjustment at 100yds and .223 was back on zero. Since then dare I say it I have not missed a thing, so lots of dead foxs and one very happy shooter now v confident in rifle.

I have always been aware that I should have a very accurate rifle but it has never truely produced the goods, but dare I say it I think it was because the acton was originally fitted with the side plates on and so was not correctly alligned/bedded to the alluminium chassis. So stressed and thus inconsistent.

Must say it does a huge ammount for your confidence when you have a weapon on song and at the weekend my son head shot two foxs with it when we were lamping on freshly mowned grass. He was pleased,so was I.

So moral to the tale is when fitting an action to an AICS remove the side plates and make sure its all flat and aligned prior to refitting them.

Hope this might help new AICS users.

D

Removal of the AICS stock panels is a two minute job with a 2.5mm allen key and makes proper fitting and torquing of the chassis to the action much easier. If there is any interference from the stock sides (and the OP's is the first example I've come across) a couple of minutes work with a file or sand paper should solve the problem, replacement sides are always available and if you really feel like splashing out check out the Viper Skins.

Yes there is lots written about bedding chassis systems, largely because R700 actions are notoriously out of tolerance (even custom actions will not offer a perfectly mated fit to a chassis due to machining tolerances from different manufacturers). However I've seen many torqued down into chassis without bedding, highly stressed, shoot extremely well.

Enjoy your rifle and stock, sounds like a good combination.

Thanks,

Mine seemed to go in quite level and I gently torqued up both screws and it looks fien most importantly shoots weel.

D

I have no experience with AICS stocks , but have torqued a lot of gear from resetting injectors to scope rings , I would say to check for raised edge's uneven face's then snug the face's together then evenly torque the mounting / securing screws .
I have manuals giving the correct torque for a known screw diameter and thread pitch so no excuse for me .

Cheers

Back