Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help weapons advice

Thumbs up Help weapons advice

The last time I shot was ages ago and it was my mates shotgun, also his FAC air rifle, he had his .22 rim fire.

I am looking to get permission to shoot land up here, So what calibre and makes are best? I will be going after rabbit and other vermin, with the attempt to get fox and my eye on the prize of deer...

I will be looking to have suppressors fitted, yeah I'll get it on the licence application, I am left handed and I prefer to shoot that way. So, what do you say as you all have better experience than I?

17HMR, 22 rimfire, semi automatic or not, 222, 223, 243, 250, even 308. Also considering things like flat trajectories and such.

Honest opinions of preferences please being mindful that I am not a lotto winner, wish I was though...

SSB

Wait until you get the permissions and see how the land lies which may help in your choice of rifle and calibre.

Might aswell start off with a real mans calibre and go for the .308
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Agree on getting permission first, but go for .22LR and 6.5x55mm - don't worry about a .30 cal cannon :-)
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    Agree on getting permission first, but go for .22LR and 6.5x55mm - don't worry about a .30 cal cannon :-)
    +1, but would also suggest you take your time as you will need to become more familiar with firearms.
    If you're budget is constrained, .22LR ammunition is cheap and abundant.

Buy the best rifle, scope and mounts you can for your budget; which can be found second hand and will retain value as upgrade over time.
    I shoot brands such as Sauer, Mauser, Anschutz and all 'just' second hand, also Swaros and S&B scopes.
    I'm not familiar with CZ, but from what most post on here they are 'darn good value for money'.
    Still think an Anschutz 522/525 semi auto is a great second hand rifle for the money though!

Good luck.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you seem a little inexperienced. Getting ground to shoot on isn't easy anywhere. Perhaps a good way in for you would be to look at some local shoots and perhaps do a bit of beating for them. That will get you into contact with other shooters, you'll likely get a go on beaters' days and more importantly you'll get to know people from the area who shoot and also landowners. You may get to do a bit of vermin control there and from that, things may develop. You may not be interested in pheasant shooting, but it's a means to an end. Many fox shooters, stalkers and other rifle users do take part in that. Then, as has been said, you can get rifles depending on what quarry you are after, ask the questions on here about what calibres are best, light the blue touch paper and retire a safe distance.

It may be best for you to go down the shotgun route initially, so you can demonstrate to potential landowners how safe you are. All the best!

The word weapon is a bad word on here....

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    Red dot you beat me too it i was going to input the same
    +1 on the wording weapon,s in stead of rilfe,s

You should try reading the letter you get from Police Scotland with your first FAC, I will need to look it out but there are several uses of the word weapon.
    Last edited by AlasdairM; 11-07-2013 at 08:48. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by AlasdairM View Post
    You should try reading the letter you get from Police Scotland with your first FAC, I will need to look it out bit there are several uses of the word weapon.
    Then they should be corrected and educated in any replies that you send to them. As the others have already asserted we are sportsmen and we use firearms in our sport, we do not intend to fight a war so do not use weapons.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    +1. A brick or a baseball bat is a weapon. We tend to use rifles and guns
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)