Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What .270 ammo?

What .270 ammo?

As above? I've a sako 75 in .270 and I could do with changing the ammo I use in it. I shoot the occasional roe but the ground I can shoot on sometimes has red on it. I get good groups with Norma 110 grain vmax. I've tried 130 grain Norma soft points and also RWS 130 grain soft points but the groups were poor. I've shot 1 stag with the 110 vmax and it dropped on the spot but I'm thinking it's a bit too light for a chest shot? I was thinking of going for 130 ballistic tip,(any recommendations?) or should I just stick to the 110 grain bullets? If anything it's mostly roe I shoot anyway and I'm not too fussed for the front leg damage.

my biggest gripe is trying different brands of ammo. It's expensive and you're always left with several half filled boxes taking up cabinet space if they don't group well!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler.250 View Post
    As above? I've a sako 75 in .270 and I could do with changing the ammo I use in it. I shoot the occasional roe but the ground I can shoot on sometimes has red on it. I get good groups with Norma 110 grain vmax. I've tried 130 grain Norma soft points and also RWS 130 grain soft points but the groups were poor. I've shot 1 stag with the 110 vmax and it dropped on the spot but I'm thinking it's a bit too light for a chest shot? I was thinking of going for 130 ballistic tip,(any recommendations?) or should I just stick to the 110 grain bullets? If anything it's mostly roe I shoot anyway and I'm not too fussed for the front leg damage.

my biggest gripe is trying different brands of ammo. It's expensive and you're always left with several half filled boxes taking up cabinet space if they don't group well!

Thanks!
    110g vmax red stag chest shot?

Yeah it was only about 75 yards. Wouldn't have chanced it further out

There are not many .270s that won't shoot 130gr ammo. There must be a brand that it likes. I don't know where you are located but I'm sure there are folks with surplus in the cabinet they don't mind you testing with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    There are not many .270s that won't shoot 130gr ammo. There must be a brand that it likes. I don't know where you are located but I'm sure there are folks with surplus in the cabinet they don't mind you testing with.
    +1

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    If your rifle shoots the 110 v max accurately them stick with them!!!! There is far too much ***** talked about not using v max on deer. You have already said that the heavier bullets you've tried aren't as accurate... And I'm guessing that from that experience you wouldn't be as confident using them as you are the v max? I know I wouldn't! The fact is.... ALL centerfire rifles will kill deer!!! Put the bullet in the right place and bingo!!!
    At respectable stalking ranges of 50 to 200 yards max ( deer are animals not targets chaps) there shouldn't be a factory round available in deer legal calibers available in this country that won't kill a deer. It's primarily down to the man pulling the trigger.

​bottom line is this...... If it works stick with it!!!!!

Ive got a sako 75 s/s and it shoots norma 130 into the tightest group (at least under 1inch at a hundred) winchester soft points were not to bad either as were the remington corelock again both 130grain

I find Federal Power Shock 130 grain does me with my Remington 700

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    110g vmax red stag chest shot?

Yep, good enough for FC Scotland which is apparently why Gregor Mcleod had Norma make the load in the first place.

3215fps and 2525ftlb's at muzzle!

Got this load confused with the 100 Barnes TTSX, apologies.
    Last edited by moses; 11-07-2013 at 13:04. Reason: facts wrong!
    "If you don't belong, don't be long"

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    Yep, good enough for FC Scotland which is apparently why Gregor Mcleod had Norma make the load in the first place.

3215fps and 2525ftlb's at muzzle!
    I thought that I had read FC Scotland require lead free ammunition?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.