Thread: New ground advice

New ground advice

Hi,
    I need some advice as I have permission over 400+ acres of arable farmland.
    The interesting bit is two woods that are about 200 metres apart, one is 12 acres and the other is 4 acres. There is evidence of activity in the woods especially next to deer fencing put around areas cropped for timber last year. it appears that something has been laying in the grass and there are trails through the grass and growth. I put a trail cam up overlooking a clearing which had disturbed areas in the undergrowth but in three days there was no show of any animals

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0029.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	521.5 KB 
ID:	30179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0222.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	967.1 KB 
ID:	30180Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0221.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	570.0 KB 
ID:	30181

The woods are surrounded by wheat fields and they have a deep (5ft) ditch around them.

There are two high seats available but just placed randomly by the farmer (one facing a horse paddock!) so I need to think about where to place them

Should I keep relocating the trail cam and if so any suggestions to where?

There is vehicle access up the middle of the 12 acre wood but it is chest high in nettles, should I run the landrover up it a few times to clear it a bit. I have seen droppings in the wood and the farmer says he has frequently seen deer in the fields when spaying. Presumably not Muntjac as they are big enough to see in the wheat.

Anyone reccomend a website for deer dropping identification?

Thanks
    Bertie
    "First impressions are as good as any others" Albert Pierrepoint 1905 - 1992

What a fine, promising permission! The exciting part starts now, and I do envy the enjoyment you will have meeting the various inhabitants.
    Would not want to hazard a guess as to what species' this could be; attached is a ID card for droppings - there is no actual scale but the droppings themselves are 'to scale' across the species.

Name:	Deer signs.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	30188
    The Roe Deer I have been observing daily out of my window, like to lie up at the edge of the field whilst intermiitently poppoing back into the field for a scoff. They do it all day. The experts will be along shortly I am sure.

Driving the landrover up and down is a good idea to clear a ride, but a good brush cutting would probably be better longer term. As for trail cams, don't sight them too high (common mistake) and it may be you have to fiddle with the sensitivity to capture the trigger creature. Good luck and keep us posted, that is a wonderful patch you have there.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

That will be Roe fewmets then
    Thanks
    ​Bertie

Best thing to do is find somewhere away from the woods but inbetween. You should be able to identify where they are crossing the open ground in the wheat?
    There is no need to be too close to the wood as you will just disturb them. You won't see much though at this time of year as the roe will be fairly tucked away prior to the rut saving energy. Harvest will be the time when you will discover more.
    I can come and have a look at it for you if is fairly close?
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Best thing to do is find somewhere away from the woods but inbetween. You should be able to identify where they are crossing the open ground in the wheat?
    There is no need to be too close to the wood as you will just disturb them. You won't see much though at this time of year as the roe will be fairly tucked away prior to the rut saving energy. Harvest will be the time when you will discover more.
    I can come and have a look at it for you if is fairly close?
    MS
    ​PM sent

There is life!

Name:	PICT0038.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	425.8 KB 
ID:	30320

Excellent! Although perhaps a little camera shy? Looks like a young roe doe I would say. Anything else?
    MS

No, there were two shots of the Roe going out of the wood and two coming back. I need to change my camera position I think but there is a lot of movement and walkways through the woods

After several visits to my permission and seeing several deer on occasion I arrived last evening and started to make my way to the small wood. As I came past the manure heap I saw something in the wheat directly in line with the setting sun so it was difficult to see but putting my Bino's on and crouching down I could see the head and neck of a very nice Roe Buck looking at me. I dropped to the ground out of sight and worked my way into a ditch which would take me to a better position with the sun behind the trees, I came out of the ditch and the Buck was now in an open space looking away from me, I started to get into position for a shot and then...... MY BLOODY PHONE RANG!!!! DOH!!!

Good idea number 328. Switch your phone off when going Stalking.

Anyway he sauntered up the path away from me and dropped into the woods about 20 metres further on so he never presented a decent target, while I muted my phone.

Later on walking in the same area that I saw the Roe, a deer got up from the long grass and ran into the woods. I think it was a Chinese Water Deer as from the rear it looked quite barrel shaped and hairy with large rounded ears.