Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Increase in parasitic burden in deer livers

Question Increase in parasitic burden in deer livers

I recently came a cross a claim from a well known professional in the business, that there has been a steady increase in deer suffering from livers with parasitic burdens to varying degrees.

He put this mostly down to the general increase in the number dogs being walked in the countryside and the associated increased defecation levels.

Anyone else heard/read anything similar or have any information on the subject?
    Last edited by TankGunner; 15-07-2013 at 14:30.

There is a definite increase in liver fluke burden. But I would seriously doubt that has anything to do with dogs at all, more like the wet weather.

I am of the same opinion. But readily admit that that opinion is based upon my own experiences.

I was hoping that someone could shed some light as to where this increase in the dog fouling/deer liver parasite burden concept sprung from.

it's not domestics but rather the general increase in carrier species that act as hosts like deer, fox, badger etc. Liver fluke though needs the water snail to complete it's life cycle so over a few wet years where the snail population increases so will the parasite numbers that can transmit to mammal hosts. A dry run of years and the reverse.

But then that comes down to habitat and the more habitat that can sustain host populations there is then the easier and more widespread the distribution of parasites becomes. Everyone's planting trees and woodlands these days! The one I hate though is ticks and that's easy one as an example, the more adult female ticks that feed the worse it gets. The more hosts the worse it gets and lyme disease is scary stuff

Paul

I agree with you.
    But it still leaves me no closer to discovering where the originator of the remark come up with the link in increased numbers of dogs being walking in the countryside and the corresponding increase in excreta and the increase in problems with deer livers.

Unfortunately, as my memory ain't what it once was. I'm having a problem tracking down a confirmable source for the remark. In order that I might go to the horses mouth. Hopefully it will come to me in the end.

Liver fluke have nothing to do with dogs. The population is dependent on the population of the water snail Lymnea truncatula which thrive in wet conditions. Therefore wet summer = more wet ground = more snails = more fluke. Hopefully the drier summer will redress the balance a bit

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    it's not domestics but rather the general increase in carrier species that act as hosts like deer, fox, badger etc. Liver fluke though needs the water snail to complete it's life cycle so over a few wet years where the snail population increases so will the parasite numbers that can transmit to mammal hosts. A dry run of years and the reverse.

But then that comes down to habitat and the more habitat that can sustain host populations there is then the easier and more widespread the distribution of parasites becomes. Everyone's planting trees and woodlands these days! The one I hate though is ticks and that's easy one as an example, the more adult female ticks that feed the worse it gets. The more hosts the worse it gets and lyme disease is scary stuff

good answer

Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    There is a definite increase in liver fluke burden. But I would seriously doubt that has anything to do with dogs at all, more like the wet weather.
    +1. Fluke has been a real issue and it is no surprise to see an increase in deer. Has nothing to do with dogs though.

The remark might have been in relation to lesions in the liver due to Cysticercus tenuicollis (Taenia hydatigena). This is a tapeworm in dogs and foxes that can be a cause of condemnation in livers of animals like sheep that are the intermediate host.
    Srvet - it's now called Galba truncatula!!

Buchan

Thankyou for you post. I think we made now be getting somewhere, in regards the correlation between increased dog excreta/deer liver parasitic burden.

I'm wondering if there have been any studies done....