Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tight bolt

tight bolt

Hi lads, just a query, after re loading 50 cases to the nearest I could get to identical I found that about 6 would take more pressure than usual to close the bolt. All cases were trimmed to the same length, OAL was the same.
    Have I done something that could have caused this problem.

I had this problem with Lee FL dies, got RCBS and problem solved.

What Calibre? What is OAL? Full Length resized or Necksized?

Quote Originally Posted by charlie-hunter View Post
    Hi lads, just a query, after re loading 50 cases to the nearest I could get to identical I found that about 6 would take more pressure than usual to close the bolt. All cases were trimmed to the same length, OAL was the same.
    Have I done something that could have caused this problem.
    you may not have pulled the case fully into the die on those that were tight, that would leave the base section a little large, try sizing then turning the case 90 degrees and repeating the sizing action, the double hit will ensure every case is fully sized .
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Inconsistent lube to the inside of the case necks has caused this for me. The expander ball pullet the base of the shoulder slightly forward at the base of the neck.~Muir

(FL resized brass)

I've had similar issues due to inconsistent brass. I've recently got into the habit of trying the first off resized cases in the rifle to check that they chamber without any difficulties. Once I am happy with the resizing die setting I bash on. I've also found that the freshly annealed cases resize more easily than cases that have been fired a number of times and not annealed. Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 12-07-2013 at 14:31. Reason: can't spell

I cycle all my brass before priming just in case.
    I dont want a hard to chamber round when it matters
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

A common one is on seating the bullet the die is adjusted too far down which then forces the neck own and causing a do-nut swelling at the shoulder/wall juncture which causes tight chambering.

I cycle all finished rounds, tedious? Maybe, but I don't experience difficulties in the field on live quarry.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    I cycle all finished rounds, tedious? Maybe, but I don't experience difficulties in the field on live quarry.
    Understand why, but I'm not a big fan of loading guns until you actually intend shooting them. Too much sphincter clenching for me