tight bolt

Ted47

Hi lads, just a query, after re loading 50 cases to the nearest I could get to identical I found that about 6 would take more pressure than usual to close the bolt. All cases were trimmed to the same length, OAL was the same.
Have I done something that could have caused this problem.

Hi lads, just a query, after re loading 50 cases to the nearest I could get to identical I found that about 6 would take more pressure than usual to close the bolt. All cases were trimmed to the same length, OAL was the same.
Have I done something that could have caused this problem.
you may not have pulled the case fully into the die on those that were tight, that would leave the base section a little large, try sizing then turning the case 90 degrees and repeating the sizing action, the double hit will ensure every case is fully sized .

Inconsistent lube to the inside of the case necks has caused this for me. The expander ball pullet the base of the shoulder slightly forward at the base of the neck.~Muir

(FL resized brass)

I've had similar issues due to inconsistent brass. I've recently got into the habit of trying the first off resized cases in the rifle to check that they chamber without any difficulties. Once I am happy with the resizing die setting I bash on. I've also found that the freshly annealed cases resize more easily than cases that have been fired a number of times and not annealed. Regards JCS

Last edited:
A common one is on seating the bullet the die is adjusted too far down which then forces the neck own and causing a do-nut swelling at the shoulder/wall juncture which causes tight chambering.

A common one is on seating the bullet the die is adjusted too far down which then forces the neck own and causing a do-nut swelling at the shoulder/wall juncture which causes tight chambering.

measuring the cases everything was as normal apart from at the top of the shoulder was the slightest mark, I'm guessing this could be the cause. Thanks for all the advice.

measuring the cases everything was as normal apart from at the top of the shoulder was the slightest mark, I'm guessing this could be the cause. Thanks for all the advice.

If you don't want to put the case back to SAAMI spec by full lengthening which will sort your problem, then get yourself a Redding body die in your calibre - that way you can push the shoulder back by as many thou as you wish to give a bolt closure that has the slightest resistance. Of course your F/L die can be adjusted to do roughly the same, but the advantage of the body die is that once set up the exact amount of shoulder movement you require is repeatable plus moving the shoulder back can be done with the bullet in situ.

.. but the advantage of the body die is that once set up the exact amount of shoulder movement you require is repeatable....

I'm not sure I follow that at all. If you anneal the brass the shoulder will move back more easily. If you don't anneal the brass, it will be come progressively harder to move the shoulder back after each successive firing. I'm not sure I've found anything really repeatable yet in 7 years of reloading. Regards JCS

Wow. I reread my post! Should have read, "....pulled the shoulder slightly forward at the base of the neck." Poor editing. :doh:Sorry.~Muir

Just found it today!,....

Picture014.jpg

Back