Thread: Moths

Moths

We suffer with clothes moths quite badly (particularly since unbeknownsed to us they feasted for months on a box of squirrel tails my son had hidden...boys will be boys).
    I have managed to home tan a nice fallow skin but am worried it will come under attack. What can I do to prevent the little buggers? When I have searched the forum the olny tip that comes up is to use talc. Does this work or is there some sort of insecticide I can use?
    Any help much appreciated.

George

Hi George

Any chance you can post a pic of the moths, adult and or larvae.

Correctly ID them first, as there are few little pests that eat hide and associated organic product, then we can sort out a suitable treatment and protection.

​I can pm my e mail address if it's easier.

Cheers

Phil

Hi to keep moths at bay try a slice of Cedar tree it smells lovely and when the smell starts to disappear rub it with sand paper, the only insecticide I can think of is Picket it contains Permrthrin but a warning it don't do fish a lot of good so if you have an open fish tank in the same room cover it first , good luck bazil

if you think the skin has been found by moths, put it in a bag , then leave it in the freezer for a day or so

Thanks guys , the moths haven't found it yet, I just want to put something on as a preventative. I have some peramethrin type treatment for the carpet that kills them but I don't think it lasts for that long as a preventative. I like the idea of the cedar wood , there are various cedar oil products available I 'll do some more research but sounds like it might be the way to go. Cheers G

A bit early this year I know but have heard of conkers being used in clothing draws years ago?

You need an insecticide spray by the name of Constrain, sold by a company called Historyonics.

Their address is 17 Talbot street, Pontcanna, Cardiff. CF1 9BW 02920 398943

Best stuff there is - Most museums use it. Just spray the skin with a fine mist of spray, let it dry and then pack it away

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    You need an insecticide spray by the name of Constrain, sold by a company called Historyonics.

Their address is 17 Talbot street, Pontcanna, Cardiff. CF1 9BW 02920 398943

Best stuff there is - Most museums use it. Just spray the skin with a fine mist of spray, let it dry and then pack it away
    Thanks Lakey , I have found their web site here http://www.historyonics.com/ I'll give them a call and shall order some of their Constrain, I should image it would be ideal for all those with head mounts etc.

Cheers George