Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? changes at West Mercia ?

? changes at West Mercia ?

This has just come up on Facebook

Changes to licensing firearms announced From Hereford Times)

Implies

1) we pay for a medical report to go with the application
    2) no reminders
    3) possible telephone interviews

Cost saving at its best?

Vap

Don't think they can just do that. Home office guidelines do not put the onus on us to provide and or pay for medical reports.

Something being written does not necessarily make it "true" these days. Maybe in the past when only the cult leaders could afford to write and publish but not now when communication is so easy.

Surely BASC and CA should be all over this and have them retract this policy if Home Office guideline does not mention we have to provide medical reports?! Maybe David at BASC could enlighten us?!

Having read the link, am I the only one that does not have an issue with this.
    It clearly states that IF you suffer from a condition or illness which may affect your ability to safely possess a firearm, they are looking for a medical report to support this.
    Surely this is a good thing as the alternative will be a refusal to grant or renew.
    It gives examples of conditions which are applicable.
    As far as I see the Medical Report is only required if you are or have been ill with an illness which can be construed as a safety issue.
    Why the hoo ha.

Quote Originally Posted by bobthedug View Post
    It clearly states that IF you suffer from a condition or illness which may affect your ability to safely possess a firearm, they are looking for a medical report to support this.
    Surely this is a good thing as the alternative will be a refusal to grant or renew.
    As far as I see the Medical Report is only required if you are or have been ill with an illness which can be construed as a safety issue.
    Why the hoo ha.
    I think the hoo ha is because they used to apply and pay for such reports theselves if they thought they were needed, presumably as part of their duties under the Firearms Act: an Act which has not, AFAIK, changed with respect to those duties and the responsibility for them.

Hi Bob,

my reading was as follows

I must identify if I have a relevant medical condition

"However any physical or mental condition that may affect your ability to possess and use firearms safely should be declared. This includes, for example, mental health disorder, epilepsy, diabetes, stroke, stress related illness, depression, alcoholism, substance use or dependency, heart disease, cancer. This list is not definitive. The Chief Officer of Police has a statutory responsibility to ensure that anyone who possesses a firearm will not be a danger to public safety or to the peace.
    Therefore if you have a relevant medical condition, you must obtain a medical report from your General Practitioner outlining the condition (declared in boxes 15 & 16 of the application form) and the medication or treatment you received or are receiving now. "

Then I must ask my GP to provide a write up on this and pay him for the priviledge - for every variation? What happens if I feel my medical condition is not relevant? What will the GP cost? What happens if the GP refused?

The police have always had the authority to contact my GP but now they are (as I read it - no longer going to do this) I must identify the condition, pay for the report etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bobthedug View Post
    Why the hoo ha.
    cobblers! You must state medical conditions and you sign the bit on the application form that says that you give them consent to approach your GP, there is no way that applicants should have to provide up-front medical reports at the applicants expense. Please note that the police website states that the list is not exhaustive. Therefore if we are to take this to its logical conclusion ALL medical history would need a report if you so much as sprained your ankle.
    you should not be financially penalised for having a medical condition. The sole purpose of this granting access to your medical is to look for issues to deal with safe use/possession of firearms, NOT to penalise anyone who has seen the doctor!

​BASC????

A few forces tried this one on previously (asking for applicants to pay for medical reports). BASC and the NGO reminded these forces that if they required such reports it was up to them to pay for the reports and not the applicant.
    Let's just say that I won't be paying for any medical reports from my doctor.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.