Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BEST EATING

BEST EATING

Not sure if this has been discussed before and will be surprised if it hasn't been exhaustively debated, what is the best tasting venison.
    Red, Roe, fallow?
    I wondered as my girlfriends brother has just been complaining how chewy and unpalatable a piece of munty was.
    It came of a very nice specimen, so as it would probably be an older beast would it be better eating from a younger one, as with say spring lamb opposed to mutton?

Without a doubt, the age of the beast has a huge bearing on both the tenderness and flavour of the meat. Younger is always better.
    (No comment about Beaver!)

Lol.. I seem to have missed the beever tread somewhere and not really sure I want to ask
    However beever aside I did think that it may well be that the younger animals are more eatable.. do the big trophy animals get a lot of stewing rather than steak and chips treatment.

I shot a big stag a few years ago on Winston Churchills plot and when we dragged it into the butchery they stated that it would all go for stewing, except the fillets!

my favourite is chops of a 2-3 year old fallow with a good layer of fat done in the oven
    beautiful

Sika hind haunch frozen, then cut into steaks on a bandsaw. Throw it on the BBQ with a knob of butter and seasoning yum yum

Cold beer as well, food of the gods

Hi legal,
    Those muntjac can be a bit tough! The first one I shot had grey knees. I didn't think anything of it till I ate it! I still have some in the freezer and have christened it 'Tutenkarman's flip flop' its that dry and leathery! Its even dry and tasteless curried!

DaveG

Re: BEST EATING

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle69
    Not sure if this has been discussed before and will be surprised if it hasn't been exhaustively debated, what is the best tasting venison.
    Red, Roe, fallow?
    I wondered as my girlfriends brother has just been complaining how chewy and unpalatable a piece of munty was.
    It came of a very nice specimen, so as it would probably be an older beast would it be better eating from a younger one, as with say spring lamb opposed to mutton?
    Old Munties are best turned into dog food IMO

Best eating is 2-3 year old sika or 1-3 year old fallow.

Hi cooks,
    If you want to tenderise tough venison cut into steaks and spread on either crushed or minced pawpaw (papaya) seeds (preferably from a female pawpaw) and leave for a couple of hours, hour each side, brush off seeds then cook as per recipe.It really works.
    Morena

For me it's a saddle of fallow pricket off the stubble in late September. Provided that it's young then muntjac can be good and is far less gamey than other species - we had a Chinese restaurant taking all that we could get at one stage. CWD is quite nice but hard to get.

I've never had the pleasure of trying sika and roe and red can be a little more gamey and pretty tough in an older animal.