Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ultra hot days = no deer?

ultra hot days = no deer?

as per title...was out for 6 hrs tonight, beautiful evening, but roasting hot...completely peculiar, I could not find as much as the shadow of a deer the entire evening, not even in the distances with the bino's....I would normally expect to see around 10+ deer at a minimum on such an evening..

​just me?

Total opposite with me. Seeing them all in the evening then none in the morning. Very odd.

i just struggle to see them full stop. no matter what the temp!!! doesn't stop the horse flies finding me though.
    Big bloke... but outta shape

Out tonight and only saw does. Early start tomorrow morning so we'll see what that brings.

seen a doe last night and a buck for about a second.... ..nothing tonight on a diff spot.

I agree don't think the deer are liking the dry heat either only saw 3 does 2 with fawns but this was not until 9.30 last night. Going to be a difficult rut around my patch as all of the crops are a good 1 to 2 months behind so cant see a thing.

It has been quiet here too, the deer i have shot have either been very early(first 20 min of daylight) or very very last thing. With nothing moving between times.

Al

Same here, sitting watching does all evening, not a buck in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Out tonight and only saw does. Early start tomorrow morning so we'll see what that brings.

We have Fallow and Reds. When it's hot like this the Fallow generally disappear into thick cover, especially the does with their young, at this time of year and you'll rarely see them however the Reds are still about to be seen mid mornings and late afternoons feeding.

It's a bit hot when you have a fur coat on in the middle of a heatwave!