Shooting While Certificate Is With Police

Jim xyz

Hi All,

I apologise if this is a question I should know the answer to, but my certificate is with Dorset Police to get a restriction removed, can I shoot without it in my possession?

Cheers,

​Jim

Hi

Presumably you have kept a copy (or 2) before sending it off? and copies of you application/letter to remove the restriction and evidence of posting to them, then I see no reason why not.......

L

I take photos of my licences with my phone mainly to check replacement has no entitlements missing. Could be shown to police too.

Or you could ask them for a temporary certificate - for the time they will have yours; I can't remember the form number you need to ask for, but I think they are legally obliged to provide you with one if you ask.

Cheers Guys,

Unless anyone knows anything different then I'll carry on but just take a copy of my certificate and of the letter I wrote when I sent it off.

Cheers,

​Jim

Or you could ask them for a temporary certificate - for the time they will have yours; I can't remember the form number you need to ask for, but I think they are legally obliged to provide you with one if you ask.

Good luck with this one!!, they hate it when you request a temp permit under section 7 of the act.:dummy:

You have a certificate in force and you do not need it with you when you are out shng. So go ahead. If stopped by the police they can always check the National Firearms Licensing Management System to confirm the validity of what you are saying. I was stopped last year and a radio call to HQ control room sorted it.

They won't issue a temporary certificate because there is already a valid certificate in existence albeit that the actual physical copy of which is with them for variation at the time. Just carry on shooting as you know you have a valid certificate and they know you have a valid certificate. It would be a different matter though if the certificate had expired and not yet been renewed.

Last edited:
Just carry on BUT observe the restrictions you have asked to be lifted untill you get the new one back notifying you of their lifting or they could view it as a breach, untill they have approved the change.

You do not have a requirement in Law to carry your FAC on you while out shooting, you just have to be able to 'produce' it. A few weeks ago a Poll was done on this site and it showed that a large proportion of FAC holders will have a Copy on them while out shooting and leave the original FAC at home, in a safe place, as I do myself as well. Obviously, if in your case an Officer challenges you to 'produce' your FAC you simply refer them to their own colleagues back in their office ;)
My view is be relaxed about this issue, if you do nothing wrong you have nothing to fear, and anyway they can always do an ID check through your number plate or other ID you may carry and quickly confirm your address and that you are a legitimate FAC holder.

Hi All,

I apologise if this is a question I should know the answer to, but my certificate is with Dorset Police to get a restriction removed, can I shoot without it in my possession?

Cheers,

​Jim

Whilst a certificate has a date of expiry that remains in the future....it is valid until that expiry date ends at midnight..... unless the police revoke the certificate in the interim.

If the certificate is with the police for processes like renewal or change of conditions, you should continue to follow the conditions at time of sending it in for change. The new conditions are only binding when they have been issued to you AND you have signed the certificate.

Just remember to stock up on ammunition as you won't be able to buy any without your certificate.

Thanks for all the advice guys,

Being impatient I was all set to go and shoot with my new variations before my certificate arrived (I've had a call from the licensing department to say it's all approved), but clearly now I'm going to wait a few more days. Sod's law something would happen and I'd be we'll and truly in it.

​Jim

I am in the same boat, I emailed the woman in firarms dept she said its fine to shoot under previous conditions as any police officer around could check the system to see that i am licenced.

It also depends on what the restriction is. If you are still shooting with a mentor/under supervision that may be enough to cover you, bearing in mind that anyone can shoot without an FAC if under supervision e.g. estate rifle usage. More detail required.

It also depends on what the restriction is. If you are still shooting with a mentor/under supervision that may be enough to cover you, bearing in mind that anyone can shoot without an FAC if under supervision e.g. estate rifle usage. More detail required.

I think that you are simplifying it a little bit too much there Toxster, the estate rifle rule is a fair bit more restrictive than many people think. In fact it's not even that clear cut to the police hence the request from ACPO for clarrification in recent meetings.

Probably....I guess as an example you might find that if you want to use expanding ammunition, then you might be able to borrow a rifle using it but not borrow someone elses ammunition and use it in your own rifle. I base this on the fact that it sounds bonkers so is probably correct....:cuckoo:

Back