Blaser Rifles?

wildfowler.250

Considering selling my sako 75 .270 and tikka m55 .22-250 and getting a blaser .243. Now I've only shot the blaser once and was very impressed with it. But I can't decide whether to have 1 'good' rifle or stick to what I've got. At the moment I'm only shooting the odd roe and plan to do some lamping at harvest. Got the odd day at hinds in December but a .243 should be fine for that.

Is it worth changing rifles or stick to what I've got? This could well be an impulse decision :lol:

One rifle would be fine but lets be honest here, that one rifle should be in 25-06 calibre which will better do what you need than a 243 will!

Check before you buy Mate. Obviously you need to be able to get the ammo! I had no problem with 25-06 but if you can't get it don't buy that calibre!

Check before you buy Mate. Obviously you need to be able to get the ammo! I had no problem with 25-06 but if you can't get it don't buy that calibre!

I was thinking .243 as it will be 90% roe, fox and the odd hoodie! Also considered 6.5 but that's a bit much for a vermin/deer gun?

At some point you could buy another barrel, that's what I did, started with .223 and added a .270. Don't ever see me changing those calibre's great for everything IMO. ATB wallace

Keep the sako 75 .270, you wiil be used to it. There is nothing in the uk it wont handle and there ant such a thing as over kill.
Atb
Laird86

Last edited:
Had a wooden r93 for years. No problems at all just changed to a r8 pro got a 243 and a 6.5 x 55 barrel. To be honest the 243 is used 90% of the time fox, roe, sika and red that's male and female with no problems at all, most accurate rifli I have used for stalking

I was thinking .243 as it will be 90% roe, fox and the odd hoodie! Also considered 6.5 but that's a bit much for a vermin/deer gun?

If that's the shooting you're planning the .243 Win will be perfect.

Re the 6.5, I don't think it's too big for vermin. You aren't eating the vermin anyway and you need to observe the same safety precautions for any rim or centrefire rifle.

I think a 6.5 will be better for shooting larger deer species, as it will deliver a little more energy and has more bullet weights to choose from. And .243 Win cannot be used on species larger than roe in several countries on mainland Europe, in case you were ever planning to shoot fallow, red etc abroad.

I have a 6.5x55 and considered swapping it for a .243, but didn't, as I shoot fallow and red, as well as abroad.

I still fancy a .243 for roe stalking, but only want one light/medium calibre in my cabinet.

Good luck.

​Christian

Back