Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worth owning a rifle for paid stalking?

Worth owning a rifle for paid stalking?

I have just had my first renewal and have owned a .308 for range/stalking for 3 years or so now, probably been out 15 times or so and have taken 7 deer. I am getting bored with lying prone and firing at set ranges and my finances do not allow unlimited days out, but i have spent at least £1600 on rifle, scope and mod alone and am beginning to think i would have been better off using estate rifles and keeping my money, even thinking of selling up. Anyone felt the same?

Think you will be better off with your own rifle, you know it, you zero it and you can be confident that you will place the shot exactly where you want to, you can't say the same for an estate rifle.

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

i would keep your rifle you never know how your situation may change and may well get your own ground you will need your rifle then

Hi mate as said keep your rifle things change.

+1 keep the rifle, you know what you've got and what its capable of, its amazing how quickly things can change opportunity wise.

ATB

​Bryan

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

Guys,

Never been with an Estate Rifle that hasn't done what it says on the tin....

​Stan

Quote Originally Posted by gr1ffer View Post
    i would keep your rifle you never know how your situation may change and may well get your own ground you will need your rifle then
    +1. Does your investment not motivate you to get out and find some land ?

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    +1. Does your investment not motivate you to get out and find some land ?
    There seems to be very very little of it about, all, as usual, being concentrated amongst the few. Not saying that's right or wrong, but not necessarily a valid excuse to keep £1500 in a metal box.

My estate rifle is a sako 75 in 6.5x55 a new Zeiss victory by scope and zero checked almost daily £ 10 if it's fired almost 4k with the brightest optics on the market 7 Deer in 3 years is that enough to have your own Gun just sat in a box?

I would keep your rifle chap !it always amazes me how many people change so often ,I really can't get my head around how folk are content to stalk so little as its such an addiction even if it's not out with the rifle but recy work or high seat placement making a deer lawn .keep looking for a patch of your own .a mate of mine has a wood he's looked after for deer from scratch how satisfying to create habitate and manage the deer from your hard work hope this spurrs you on !
    Kind regards
    ​norma