Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Savages?

Savages?

Have been hunting high and low to find my new rifle, and confronted by too many choices - have settled on roughly a grand budget for the rifle and moderator

I want a new one, as I plan for it to be a keeper, and a working/practical rifle

Have looked at tikka's (lovely, but just stretch the budget a bit far if I go for the stainless and the stock still seem a bit rough for the price) Howa's (bargain, till you factor in a decent stock) Browning (horrid trigger and stock)

what has crept onto my radar recently is the Savage model 16 weather warriors - seem to have all the attributes and a lovely stock and trigger combination

the more I look at them, the more they seem like an ideal setup - anyone gone one or used one enough to pass comment?

cheers

I've owned a couple of Savages and found them very sound rifles. One was pretty accurate, the other -which was older but little used- less so.

IME they don't have particularly smooth actions, and don't have much "feel" or "pointability". On the plus side, there are plenty of after-market bits for them, albeit not as many as for Remington 700s.

The Model 16's "synthetic" stock is better described as "plastic", too, so if you don't like the X-Bolt's stock, I don't think you'll like the Savage's, especially if you compare it to a Hogue on a Howa. The Remington 700 SPS stainless would be worth looking at too, though the stock is still a bit plasticky (basically, they all are at this level), as any bits you don't much like now can always be upgraded in the future as funds allow, something you can also do with Howas, but less so with Savages or Tikkas, and scarcely at all with Brownings.

Alternatively, you could spend a bit more on the rifle now and offset the extra with a S/H moderator.

I'm sorry if this puts a bit of a dampener on your Savage plan, but in the end, only you can decide what feels right in your hands, so heft and fondle as many of the options as you can before making your choice. Hmm, maybe that didn't come out quite as I meant!

No, any feedback welcome

the 'plasticky' comment was more over the fact that unlike any of the others the savage had the new 'accustock' with a full alloy bed - which seemed to make it unbeatable in the price bracket.

What calibre?

I would strongly suggest you look at the SH market. Your budget will buy a fair bit of quality if you are careful.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Labrat View Post
    unlike any of the others the savage had the new 'accustock' with a full alloy bed - which seemed to make it unbeatable in the price bracket.
    You can get Howa with the full bedding block Hogue stock. They run maybe 80-100 Euro higher when available at egun.de etc. so expect to pay extra if you find one. I'd just get a barreled action since they're also available, and drop in a stock of my choosing.

I've owned a number of savage 110's, 111's and even an old single shot version in 22-250. They aren't the prettiest rifle you'll ever own , but every one I've owned shot very well. I've shot a 116 in 7mm RM that belongs to a friend and I was impressed at its accuracy. As far as the synthetic stock goes, its no worse than the competitions and better than most due to the aluminum bedding block. The accu-trigger ( first time I tried one, and the main reason I asked to shoot my friends rifle) worked really well. Over all , they are a very reliable, accurate and reasonably priced rifle that IMHO gets unfairly over looked. I still own two and am very happy with them. Hope this helps

AB

jthyttin: funnily enough i've been thinking about doing just that.

Got a price this morning of 540 for a stainless barrelled action....

Another plus is you can buy the "Weatherby" branded bottom metal/plastic and 3 shot detachable magazine for the Howa from the US for about 65 too.
    Last edited by Wheesht!; 15-07-2013 at 19:18.

Living in the UK, I would consider a quality second hand rifle. Guntrader seems very intresting. A similar service/website is not availble here in Belgium. I never have seen a secondhand Tikka T3 here.
    Don't forget a Browning A bolt. They are very cheap at the moment and for about 25/30 pound you get a pair of replacement springs from Timney to bring the trigger down to about 2 pounds. A gunsmith charged my friend 15 to install them. Light, good safety, practical magazine, .........

I'll echo the positive comments on the Savages and add that if the model you're considering has the accu-stock, then don't worry, they are very solid. The accu-stock is significantly more sturdy than the standard "tupperware" stocks found on most budget brand/model rifles. I have one on a 6.5 Creedmoor, and I had intended to swap it out. The problem is, is that the accustock has performed so well, I can't really justify moving the action into a chassis system....

​JMTCW...

Quote Originally Posted by Labrat View Post
    No, any feedback welcome

the 'plasticky' comment was more over the fact that unlike any of the others the savage had the new 'accustock' with a full alloy bed - which seemed to make it unbeatable in the price bracket.
    I'll stand corrected on that one. My synthetic-stocked Savage pre-dated the Accustock, which, I have to admit, I'd forgotten about, and is, as you suggest, an altogether different, and better, item.