Hi. Just qualified from college and looking for a job!

Hi. I have just finished studying for my extended diploma in countryside management. I have my DSC 1. I shoot .22, .243, .42 and a 12 bore.
Keen to find a job - would love one in deer management. Any help to find one gratefully received.
Thanks

It is always sad to tell people the truth but it is better you know now than go in with rose tinted specs.

Getting a job with anything to do with deer management is near impossible. You will almost certainly have to have a degree if you wish to pursue anything with the any forestry body unless you are very well connected.
My advice is very simple.
1. Go onto the CJS website
2. Do not ever mention shooting unless you are asked
3. If you cannot find a job quickly then get volunteering. There are plenty of things on the CJS website as this will get you connected. It will also stop you from getting too dispondant. It will also help build your CV
4. Get round to the local shoots and offer your help for free. They network too
5. Get a pro CV done
6. Get yourself down the job club as they have jobs from CJS that you won't see unless you subscribe to their service
7. Bang on every door and keep banging until someone either tells you to PI££ off or interviews you. You have to show tenacity
8. Don't ever, ever give up and if all else fails start your own business. The UK is one of the easiest countries in the world to start up.

I am one of the most tenacious people I know. If I want something almost nothing will stop me. It has got me a lot of what I have today.

Last edited:
It is always sad to tell people the truth but it is better you know now than go in with rose tinted specs.

Getting a job with anything to do with deer management is near impossible. You will almost certainly have to have a degree if you wish to pursue anything with the any forestry body unless you are very well connected.
My advice is very simple.
1. Go onto the CJS website
2. Do not ever mention shooting unless you are asked
3. If you cannot find a job quickly then get volunteering. There are plenty of things on the CJS website as this will get you connected. It will also stop you from getting too dispondant. It will also help build your CV
4. Get round to the local shoots and offer your help for free. They network too
5. Get a pro CV done
6. Get yourself down the job club as they have jobs from CJS that you won't see unless you subscribe to their service
7. Bang on every door and keep banging until someone either tells you to PI££ off or interviews you. You have to show tenacity
8. Don't ever, ever give up and if all else fails start your own business. The UK is one of the easiest countries in the world to start up.

I am one of the most tenacious people I know. If I want something almost nothing will stop me. It has got me a lot of what I have today.

+1 One of the best responses I have heard to a job seeker ;) Good luck James

Just concentrate on getting a foot in the door in the shooting industry for now and not worry too much about getting into deer related work straight away. There's an advert on guns on pegs classifieds looking for a college or school leaver, get in touch there and see what's involved.
Better still..... Go learn a trade and earn plenty I money, that way you can stalk when it suits you!!!!

Back