Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ Stock Chop

CZ Stock Chop

My CZ with it new comb and lengthen stock. Could anyone recommend a good paint?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-07-15 17.18.45.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	372.9 KB 
ID:	30318

One coat of primer, two coats of undercoat and a final coat of dulux gloss in magnolia, or perhaps you would rather creosote it.

Obviously work in progress, what will the final shape be like and do you intend to fit a recoil pad or but plate.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    One coat of primer, two coats of undercoat and a final coat of dulux gloss in magnolia, or perhaps you would rather creosote it.

Obviously work in progress, what will the final shape be like and do you intend to fit a recoil pad or but plate.
    I Don't Think Charlie Would Care If It Was Barby Pink!

It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the colour of the rifle.

Well I suppose to anyone but you you have taken a rifle worth several hundred and turned it into one worth about 75 maybe.

I have seen raised combs fitted and done well that the enhance a rifle. I cannot in all honesty say that's what you have done.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    cricket anyone,

sorry bud but thats just a shame.....................even to a cz stock,

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    cricket anyone,

sorry bud but thats just a shame.....................even to a cz stock,

bob.
    whats the problem, Its obvious the original stock did not fit the shooter.
    He has modified it so that it fits his own perhaps unusual body shape using what looks like immaculate joinery.
    ​A gunstock that does not fit is just another bit of wood awaiting the wood burner

The Rifle was bought for keeps, At 275 then I sold scope and mounts for 100 so the gun owes me 175. It shoots straight and it is only my work gun. Each time it saves a lamb its money well spent. My problem was with it was the European drop style stock made for open sights. It took over 2 inches of pipe foam and tape to raise the comb enough for me to mount the gun so I could see down the scope.

The original varnish was 2 pack epoxy, this took over a week to remove with a verity of different products and a lot of scraping. At this time I new the stock would need painting as some of the wood had been damaged with the vanish remover.

The comb has been raised and I have added some length, I cut off anything I did not need. I still need to shape the stock and fit a butt plate. It was a bit trial and error I have already finished the front of the stock to a shape that I thought look good, But the biggest problem was the amount it had to be cut back to allow the bolt to be removed.

Tool used so far hand saw, rasp, sand paper, glue.

Any advances on some thing to paint it with?

If it was mine i would first of all stain it to try to blend the different woods together and then oil finish or for quick result paint it with any exterior grade varnish.

Of course the easiest answer would have been to fit a scope with proper height mounts and probably stick with a reasonable objective like 42/44mm. That would have made this all unnecessary. Instead there is a scope to rival hubble and pylon height mounts = problems.

I would also suggest looking closely at your mounting technique as most with those sort of problems are really scrunching down onto the comb which is not necessary. Try shooting with the neck in a natural position and bring the rifle up to the shoulder rather than cramming down on the stock. Not only is it more comfortable but it also allows better breathing due to the neck being in a normal natural relaxed position.

As for paint well use what you want as it cannot make it much worse really can it?

There have been some pretty disgusting replies to the OP, with the last one from Brithunter being, in my opinion downright rude!

The rifle belongs to the OP and he can do with it as he wants, he asked for advice and the good old SD regulars come in leaping once again on the "lets have a go at someone" bandwagon. Fortunately there were some sensible replies. Whatever you may think of some of the "advice" you were given, carry on, as long as you're happy thats all that matters.