Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: chamber polishing?

chamber polishing?

the chamber on my .222 is as rough as a badgers arse....to put it mildly
    some of my cases show the roughness in the brass

Now my "how hard can it be" mentality has me thinking a modified fire formed case on a extended power drill bit coated in some jewellers rouge would be a simple fix.
    it is used for polishing glass and precious metals, surely must be able to remove some imperfections without removing too much metal or am I oversimplifying this?

thoughts before I get busy with the Bosch!

Not sure. Do you think the roughness is contributing to the extraction issue? In terms of cost of doing the work, I suspect it's like my 100 shotgun that I've twice spent 100 on and it's still worth 100. Unless the barrel is removed from the action, I would suspect any polishing would make the chamber less concentric.

I would be more inclined to set the barrel back and rechamber it, but that's not a cheap exercise.

Regards JCS

I once had a Rem 700 that had a rough chamber. I was told that it was caused by the chamber reamer chattering when it was cut. There were also score marks about 2 in into the muzzle where the pilot had also been loose. Advice at the time was to rebarrel or move the rifle on. With bore scopes being more available these days I would suggest that it is scoped before making a decision. As they say you can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter!
    i suspect you would run into a few problems if you try to polish it out. The first being an oversized chamber and the second being loss of concentricity.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    the chamber on my .222 is as rough as a badgers arse....to put it mildly
    some of my cases show the roughness in the brass

Now my "how hard can it be" mentality has me thinking a modified fire formed case on a extended power drill bit coated in some jewellers rouge would be a simple fix.
    it is used for polishing glass and precious metals, surely must be able to remove some imperfections without removing too much metal or am I oversimplifying this?

thoughts before I get busy with the Bosch!

Your fire-formed case [showing the roughness in the brass] will only exaggerate the problem that you have.

Love the comments about 'loss of concentricity' 'oversized chamber'....

I would get or make a cleaning mop the size of your chamber , coat it with a polishing agent and work away , not letting it run dry or become slack , then polish it with very fine wire wool again on the mop .
    Give it a flush and a good clean and you should be good to go .

ATB

Is it causing extraction issues?
    Has it been like this from new?
    Is it significantly reducing the ife of the case then I wold suggest a set back and rechamber, hopefully with a sharp reamer.
    I had a barrel set back and rechambered 2 years ago for under a hundred dollars. The lengthiest part of the process is centering the barrel in the lathe. This was in Aus so 60 odd quid.
    If it still extracts and you get say one less reload out of your cases I wouldnt worry about it.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoak View Post
    Is it causing extraction issues?
    Has it been like this from new?
    Is it significantly reducing the ife of the case then I wold suggest a set back and rechamber, hopefully with a sharp reamer.
    I had a barrel set back and rechambered 2 years ago for under a hundred dollars. The lengthiest part of the process is centering the barrel in the lathe. This was in Aus so 60 odd quid.
    If it still extracts and you get say one less reload out of your cases I wouldnt worry about it.
    Hope this helps.
    This is rip off Britain and I seriously doubt one could get a re-chamber done for less than several hundred pounds.

Shame. I would expect to pay the equivalent of 450 pounds for a rebarrel.
    I was at a Field rifle comp a few years ago and one of the competitors had extraction issues with their Sako 22lr.
    Rob Tobler (Tobler barrels) was there and he put a 22 lr reamer in an extension and very lighty turned it in the chamber, there may have been a burr or similar in it. Gun worked fine after that. May be worth a try if this is a new issue??

Quote Originally Posted by bigoak View Post
    Shame. I would expect to pay the equivalent of 450 pounds for a rebarrel.
    I was at a Field rifle comp a few years ago and one of the competitors had extraction issues with their Sako 22lr.
    Rob Tobler (Tobler barrels) was there and he put a 22 lr reamer in an extension and very lighty turned it in the chamber, there may have been a burr or similar in it. Gun worked fine after that. May be worth a try if this is a new issue??
    1) This isn't Australia - forget those prices.
    2) It is not a 22LR so the 22LR extraction issue will not apply.

Hey Joe (theres a song about that)
    Yeah I realise its not a 22lr, but if the roughness is caused by a surface imperfection in the chamber caused by foreign objects or corrosion, a light turn with a reamer might pick it up without altering he headspace. If its chatter from a previous chamber job it is a different story though.