Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ticks on Cocker spaniels

Ticks on Cocker spaniels

Sorry, I'm confused and would like some advice please.

How / why is it than two cocker spaniels, one male one female, same size & roughly the same age, when they run in long grass my dog (the bitch) has never had a tick (so far.....) and a guy I know's dog has loads? One morning he removed 6 from one ear?

Don't ticks attach to females?

Thanks.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Has either had protection against fleas as this also stops ticks.

Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    Has either had protection against fleas as this also stops ticks.
    Mine is on regular (monthly) Advantage. I will check on the other dog.

Good point. Thanks.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    Mine is on regular (monthly) Advantage. I will check on the other dog.

Good point. Thanks.
    The other dog is on monthly Frontline - so still unsure as to why one gets ticks & the other doesn't.

Weird (but I'm not complaining)?

There has to be another factor at work (such as coincidence or the behaviour of the dogs when out) as neither of these products are great for ticks. If anything, frontline (fipronil) has the edge over advantage (imadacloprid). The best I've found is Advantix where the imadocloprid gets a permethrin added to it.

Strange you put this up when we were walking last night we were talking about how many ticks one of my cocker bitches has had more than the other I just put it down to coincidence as I don't see how ticks could be attracted to one more than the other the only difference is colour. I will say ticks are rife this year worst year iv had for taking ticks off dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    There has to be another factor at work (such as coincidence or the behaviour of the dogs when out) as neither of these products are great for ticks. If anything, frontline (fipronil) has the edge over advantage (imadacloprid). The best I've found is Advantix where the imadocloprid gets a permethrin added to it.
    Quite a few people are telling me that advantage isn't the best but I'm finding that advantix is available with a prescription only?

Is this correct and any idea how much I have to pay the Vet for a prescription please?

​Thanks.

Andvantix is POM and it is up to the individual vet to set their price.

Scalibor collars are great at preventing ticks, also keep the midges off the dog. No licensed indication but never seen a flea on a treated dog either.

They are cheap, effective and not prescription only. Each collar lasts for 6 months.

That is what I would pick as 1st choice if ticks are your problem.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I've had the same thing, I walk my dogs in a heavily ticked area and some dogs seem to attract ticks more than others - I put it down to coincidence, although thinking about it the one who hardly ever gets a tick is the fastest!

Jon

Just back from Peebles. The score, Katie, springer 6, dodger, springer 1, Carney cocker 0, plus one gorged on floor,unallocated. There is no rational about numbers, wrong place wrong time.