Thread: DSC2 Questions

DSC2 Questions

I'm just back from a morning stalk, three sightings but nothing shootable and back home before the heat kicks in!
    Anyway my stalk this morning got me thinking.
    For DSC2 do you have to nominate one specific breed/gender to cull?
    This morning I was out for Roe Buck or Munty, but also kept an eye out for an injured Fallow that we've seen. Is that acceptable for a DSC2 stalk, or do you need to be more specific?
    Secondly is using a Deer Call allowable under DSC 2?
    Apologies in advance if they're daft questions!

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Regarding Bucks/Stags/Red/Roe/Fallow/Munty/CWD/Sika-

Prior to the stalk you should brief your Witness on what is on the ground, what the intended cull will be
    ie. "Any Male Deer", or you could be more specific, depending on what you/the ground management plan could be "Today we will be culling any Munty Bucks, along with any young or old Roe Bucks, all other male deer will be left". You could also state that "Any wounded animal will be culled should I feel that a welfare issue is present".

Regarding a caller, you need to prove to the witness that you are capable of stalking into an animal, should you do this to an out of season animal, that PC is fullfilled, you could then sit in a high seat later that day, or indeed another day and call an animal in to cull.
    OR
    If you stalked into a suitable animal, to a firing position, but the animal was then reluctant to move into a suitable shooting position (behind a tree/bush etc), I'd be happy for a caller to be used to get the cull animal to move into a suitable shooting position....

Other AW's will have their views, that's mine.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Quote Originally Posted by Naseby View Post
    I'm just back from a morning stalk, three sightings but nothing shootable and back home before the heat kicks in!
    Anyway my stalk this morning got me thinking.
    For DSC2 do you have to nominate one specific breed/gender to cull?
    This morning I was out for Roe Buck or Munty, but also kept an eye out for an injured Fallow that we've seen. Is that acceptable for a DSC2 stalk, or do you need to be more specific?
    Secondly is using a Deer Call allowable under DSC 2?
    Apologies in advance if they're daft questions!
    In answer to your two questions:
    1. No, any of the six species will do in any order of any sex (providing in season)
    2. Yes, all methods used during various stalking situations are acceptable. However be aware that the three ICR's each need to have an actual 'stalk' into an animal. By all means call one in and shoot it, or shoot one from a high seat - but you still need to show you can STALK into an animal (but than do not necessarily have to shoot it) as it is one of the many of the modular actions within one ICR you need to show.
    Last edited by Erik Hamburger; 16-07-2013 at 10:33.