Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best bullet for close range deer

Best bullet for close range deer

I've got a small permission that has deer on the land. Due to the lie of the land I can actually shoot the deer at quite close range, certainly below 100yds.

I'm just wondering what would be a good bullet for this closer range situation. After looking on the good old t'interwebs I'm more confused.

My original thought was a light weight bullet, but now realise this is wrong. I'm tempted by a heavy weight 180grn bullet at a medium velocity, but would a heavy round nose bullet be better than a heavy pointed bullet? After all I'm after knock down power at close range.

What do you guys use?

Any deer legal bullet should be good enough.

If they are definitely under 100m I'd head or neck them with a light fragile bullet
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

You don't say if 100yds is the extent of the permission, so what is your safe distance behind any quarry?

A ton of UK stalking is lowland/woodland, so sub-100yds is pretty normal, so most ammo is available with that in mind

I use 140gr SSTs in my 6.5x55, and have taken instant kills with them from 30yds to 201yds, and that's a slowish pointy bullet traveling at 2,660fps into the boiler room

All that matters is that you use something that you are confident with
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

90 & 95 grain ballistic tips (deer, not vermin type) in .243 mv-around 3000fps, me-1800 ft/lbs ish, chest shot. Not sure what calibre you are using or which species but you appear to have plenty of knock down power. atb Tim

Thanks for your replies.

Should've said I'm using a .308, my permission is long but narrow, and typically I'm shooting in the narrow direction. Luckily I'm in a elevated position shooting into a natural shallow bowl so my backstop looks ok. Just wanting to make sure I can take the deer down without going mental with high velocity ammo, risking it going through the deer (which is unlikely). I'm loading my own so can tailor them, and use different heads. Currently got 150grn Sierra's #2125 but wondering if these will be "too much"

The species of deer are fallow.

110 vmax in the napper.
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbeech View Post
    Thanks for your replies.

Should've said I'm using a .308, my permission is long but narrow, and typically I'm shooting in the narrow direction. Luckily I'm in a elevated position shooting into a natural shallow bowl so my backstop looks ok. Just wanting to make sure I can take the deer down without going mental with high velocity ammo, risking it going through the deer (which is unlikely). I'm loading my own so can tailor them, and use different heads. Currently got 150grn Sierra's #2125 but wondering if these will be "too much"

The species of deer are fallow.
    I apologise at the start
    timbeech you sound incredibly 'green'
    All centrefire ammo IS high velocity
    Most centrefire ammo will and should be assumed to pass straight through a deer.
    Have you taken a DSC1. If you haven't, you should. If you have, you didn't listen.

I'm sorry if I sound rough, but from your post it really doesn't sound like you know what your doing or what your using.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

If you shoot them in the neck or head they will go right down but you just can't be sure of that with a chest shot. However, that's probably not news to you.

I was shooting a Hornady Spire Point out of my 308 at 3000fps and it never put a chest shot sika down where it stood with ranges from 20 to probably 220 yards and sometimes huge damage to the deer. Recently I've moved to a Nosler Partition at about 2700fps and it does put a goodly proportion of chest shot sika straight down with ranges from close to about 250 yards. I can't explain that and I don't know if it has just been lucky or if this performance will hold up in years to come but I've never seen it before. Both bullets are 150 grain.

The partitions have also performed well for me on neck shots - I suspect the front core is pretty soft and so expands well even on a neck shot on a sika calf. I guess this is the advantage of a bullet with two cores.

I haven't, as yet, been able to get the partition to shoot as well as the spire point which is the only down side I've noticed but the partition is now my main deer load.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Tis only in "Hollywood" that bullets don't exit many bodies. In real life and at normal ranges bullets almost always exit and carry on into the landscape until stopped by a solid back stop. Tress unless huge don't stop bullets very well either.