Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Stags and Grouse over pointers

Red Stags and Grouse over pointers

A trustworthy friend of mine is looking for red stag stalking and grouse over pointers in August. I dont know the exact dates he needs but will obviousy be after the 10th.

He will have accommodation in the Blair Athol area, but the estate has nothing to offer at the time.

Any decent opportunities out there?

Thanks

Glorious 10th ???????
    Sorry couldn't resist.

Not many stags for sale in August, a lot will still be in velvet most estates dont start until September.

I dont think he is too concerned about clean antlers, just a cull animal for his son. I will double check though

Sacrilege to shoot a stag in velvet

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    Sacrilege to shoot a stag in velvet
    +1

Depends if you want to eat it. Would you rather have the eat stinking of piss in October?

Quote Originally Posted by philross View Post
    +1
    why is it sacriledge to shoot a stag in velvet? if it's cull beasts, spikers, staggies, hummels, knobbers, switch stags, whatever that just needs to be cleared off the ground, who cares? it will leave estates with time to take the big $$$ paying guests in search for the big trophies without having to worry about the cull work, as it's out of the way. Also leaves the keepers with more time to focus on the grouse if relevant, and the weather conditions won't mean you suddenly get cut off from completing your annual cull.

to me, culling in velvet makes perfect sense for any deer species. but synthetic stocks...still don't make any sense...

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    Depends if you want to eat it. Would you rather have the eat stinking of piss in October?
    +1

Oh don't get your knickers in a twist, I know it needs to be done ..I would just prefer not to if possible.