Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shooting prone,off elbows

shooting prone,off elbows

Shot a club comp at the weekend and to be honest i done crap ,we shot off sticks,sitting and prone ,sitting and prone is something ive never done whats the best position to be in.and yes i know practise makes perfect.stuart

Practice more, after all a gentleman is someone who takes half the weight on his elbows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David.

all of them feller ie if in long grass then prone is't any good so its sitting then it is very useful to be able to adapt to the ground your on ,if you are like me and getting on a bit free hand on long targets is now a thing of the past , so i'v made quad sticks for standing and 28/30" from sitting . it sounds like you were shooting the stalkers shooting test so quad sticks are not allowed !! but bipod /sticks are , your best shooting should be prone off or on a bipod or sack bag as you say the more you do the better you will be, if cost or getting to a range is a problem use an air rifle ,and a pellet catcher .

Was prone with or without a bipod? If with a bipod, then support the butt with the non trigger hand, make sure you are comfortable and don't force the rifle onto target, there should be no tension in the body.

If you can find Pete Blooms Practical Rifle Markmanship book, its a cracking read and tells you all you need to know about shooting from different positions.
    Last edited by Bomag; 17-07-2013 at 19:51.

pete was a dam fine rifleman and sportsman and 100% top guy ,i used to shoot along side him in PR rifle back in the day .

Quote Originally Posted by Bomag View Post
    Was prone with or without a bipod? If with a bipod, then support the butt with the non trigger hand, make sure you are comfortable and don't force the rifle onto target, there should be no tension in the body.

If you can find Pete Blooms Practical Rifle Markmanship book, its a cracking read and tells you all you need to know about shooting from different positions.

Long shot, but you don't have a spare copy of his book, do you Paul? I read a mates copy and he wont sell it!!

Remember Pete Bloom very well: very sad at his loss. I didn't know he wrote a book...will look for it.

I've a good "tome" on High Power Rifle Competition that I got from Normal Clark's some years ago. It's a good read and full of tips.

IMO get a M1907 two-piece leather rifle sling to get you the nicest hold...Brownells sell a really good one called the "Competitor."

I own a couple (one a Price Western Gunleather job and the other a Brownells) and the bunnies don't like it.

sorry done the same job as him so did't need a book , all info was socked up from a very young age no shot no food !! and mod trained , wished i had one signed but if i did it would stay in my care, thay may ?have some at bisley but thay are out their its just finding one !! as barkingsnake said a sad loss , i to have some pat:m1907 sringfield slings but not very practical for stalking ,the best thing is just keep practiceing , stading sitting kneeling and prone . a book may point your way , but won't give you muscle memory and technique .
    atb
    paul
    ps i bet you have some one at your club who is x green that will help

Long shot, but you don't have a spare copy of his book, do you Paul? I read a mates copy and he wont sell it!!
    Last edited by paul o'; 17-07-2013 at 20:42.

If with a bipod, then support the butt with the non trigger hand
    I see people doing this at the range, but I really don't understand why.

As far as I can tell, the whole point is for the rifle to shoot to POA from whatever position you happen to find yourself firing it from. If you do this thing where the forend is not gripped when shooting from a bipod, what is going to happen when you have to shoot from sitting, or off sticks? Or when the bipod is resting on peat rather than stone (or the concrete bench on the range)?

I always try to have the forend under control, and to make sure that whatever the bipod (if I'm using one) is bearing, on, it is bearing on it just enough to stop the rifle wobbling about too much.