Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The virtues of a small foxing calibre

The virtues of a small foxing calibre

Had a couple of long range (well long range for me) foxes earlier this evening as all my usual foxing is done at night with night vision so distances are a little more modest. A head keeper on a local commercial shoot phoned me a couple of days ago - he had two well grown cubs across the valley from one of his kale plots and there was no way they could get a safe shot from within the field that the cubs were in - the only way was to shoot from the opposite hill over the valley - could I bring my Tac over and have a go.

He and I arrived at 6 pm as he said they usually came out of the gorse at this time of day and would be sniffing around the numerous rabbit holes on the side of the hill. Once set up on the bonnet of my truck set about range finding various key features - actually there were only two features - the meeting of the gorse with the hill (354 yds) and a fence that divided the hill in two (413 yds ) both ranged straight from my truck. About 7.15 one cub (with a pronounced white tip to the tail) came out of the gorse wandering straight up the hill, dialled in for 375 yds and when it paused, pressed the button, over it went but my shot had hit it at the very top of the shoulder and it scrabbled about for a few seconds before rolling back down the hill quite dead - watched it for half a minute before pronouncement, ranged where it was before shot and made that 368 yds .
    Half an hour later the other cub came out of the gorse - well actually we did not notice it until it was nearly at the fence line where it sat facing away from us watching several rabbits, dialled in 400 yds and the cub (small target profile at that range) fell on the spot - with the thump of impact seemingly taking ages to get to our ears. That one ranged at 395 yds. Big handshake from the keeper and much relieve on my part as what little wind there was, was coming straight at us.

Point of this tale is to reinforce my opinion of the capabilities of the little 20 calibre - they are superbly accurate, take very little powder if you reload, virtually recoiless and are well up there with the best of the 22's - and that is coming from some one who also shoots a 22.250

Nicely done chap. What your tale does reinforce for me is the importance of knowing your kit and knowing how to use it. That, I'd suggest is more important than calibre choice.

Good work, proves knowing the capabilities of what your using and time spent is worth while. Out of curiosity what scope are you using?

How does the trajectory of the 20Tac compare to a .222?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
    Had a couple of long range (well long range for me) foxes earlier this evening as all my usual foxing is done at night with night vision so distances are a little more modest. A head keeper on a local commercial shoot phoned me a couple of days ago - he had two well grown cubs across the valley from one of his kale plots and there was no way they could get a safe shot from within the field that the cubs were in - the only way was to shoot from the opposite hill over the valley - could I bring my Tac over and have a go.

He and I arrived at 6 pm as he said they usually came out of the gorse at this time of day and would be sniffing around the numerous rabbit holes on the side of the hill. Once set up on the bonnet of my truck set about range finding various key features - actually there were only two features - the meeting of the gorse with the hill (354 yds) and a fence that divided the hill in two (413 yds ) both ranged straight from my truck. About 7.15 one cub (with a pronounced white tip to the tail) came out of the gorse wandering straight up the hill, dialled in for 375 yds and when it paused, pressed the button, over it went but my shot had hit it at the very top of the shoulder and it scrabbled about for a few seconds before rolling back down the hill quite dead - watched it for half a minute before pronouncement, ranged where it was before shot and made that 368 yds .
    Half an hour later the other cub came out of the gorse - well actually we did not notice it until it was nearly at the fence line where it sat facing away from us watching several rabbits, dialled in 400 yds and the cub (small target profile at that range) fell on the spot - with the thump of impact seemingly taking ages to get to our ears. That one ranged at 395 yds. Big handshake from the keeper and much relieve on my part as what little wind there was, was coming straight at us.

Point of this tale is to reinforce my opinion of the capabilities of the little 20 calibre - they are superbly accurate, take very little powder if you reload, virtually recoiless and are well up there with the best of the 22's - and that is coming from some one who also shoots a 22.250
    Nice shooting Peter
    still waiting for mine mate
    reading reports like this makes it even harder to wait
    you still got the big Zeiss on the top ?
    ​regards Pete

You will be too old and decrepid to carry and use it if you have to wait for yours any longer Roedinator. In fact you will be looking around for a lighter gun to carry or mount on your 4X4 mobility scooter.

I know that they say that good things come to those who wait but no rifle is ever going to be that good.
    Last edited by 8x57; 18-07-2013 at 09:53.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Good read Peter. I really love 20's, they perform time and time again, except when our excitable keeper is standing next to me when I miss every time !

haha nice one mike, he will be sulking now you've said that though. that cannon would tip his mobility scooter over anyway