Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollow ground screwdriver set - where to buy

Established Poster
    Southern Burgundy, France and the UK a few times per year

Hollow ground screwdriver set - where to buy

Hello everyone,

Has anyone bought a decent set of hollow-ground screwdrivers for gunsmithing and what price did you pay? What I mean are those screwdrivers with flat equal sided tips - not the normal that slant backwards.
    I need a decent set and something to adjust the Blaser one piece mount I just bought.
    Any recommendations from a UK or European source would be welcome.

Regards, Mark

Tramb

Haven't used 'complete' screwdrivers for a while. Tend to use a Wheeler 'FAT' torque setting handle unit or standard driver with socket for 1/4" bits.

Usually ditch the supplied steel bits and tend to use a quality bit set - most frequently something like Wera. Not sure of supply in France but the likes of Screwfix ( their diamond bits good as well ), Tool Station etc.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Established Poster
    Thanks, Yes I use a torque screwdriver too. The one I bought didn't have the parallel face (hollow ground) tips though. So it's either a set of bits or a set with handles failing that. Getting access to UK stuff is no problem for me and to be honest UK prices are mainly cheaper than European ones. Although the UK tools might melt or buckle during a heatwave
    Mark

The Wheeler Engineering screwdriver set is really good, all hollow ground and at least 30 different bits to suit most firearms. I have one, along with a comprehensive driver bit set (hex's, torx etx) bought from a tooling supplier and a Borka torque wrench. Covers everything I need.

Have a look about for a Stahlewillie dealer near you , they are German hand tools used by pro mechanics , or Facome are a local French breed also very good .

Cheers

Established Poster
    Thanks everyone. I will follow up those leads. Failing that I'll have a look at Brownells website but I can't for the next 10 days as the work web site here has a firewall that bans 'firearms' web sites

i use foster from brownells usa

Parallel ground tips to better fit the bottom of the slot, where the screw is strongest, for greater torque transfer.

Hi Tramblygoat, the Chapman screwdriver sets have always been highly accliamed aand apart from Brownells would be my choice: http://www.midwayuk.com/epages/Midwa...roducts/441524&

They are available from Midway UK so should be available from Midway France as well

Ian.

+1
    forgot about them ! my pal has a set of multi tool bit set , 2nd best

QUOTE=Whitebeard;618919]Hi Tramblygoat, the Chapman screwdriver sets have always been highly accliamed aand apart from Brownells would be my choice: http://www.midwayuk.com/epages/Midwa...roducts/441524&

They are available from Midway UK so should be available from Midway France as well

Ian.[/QUOTE]

Paul O,
    Brownells Magna Tip will always be my first choice

Ian.