Hollow ground screwdriver set - where to buy

tramblygoat

Hello everyone,

Has anyone bought a decent set of hollow-ground screwdrivers for gunsmithing and what price did you pay? What I mean are those screwdrivers with flat equal sided tips - not the normal that slant backwards.
I need a decent set and something to adjust the Blaser one piece mount I just bought.
Any recommendations from a UK or European source would be welcome.

Regards, Mark

Tramb

Haven't used 'complete' screwdrivers for a while. Tend to use a Wheeler 'FAT' torque setting handle unit or standard driver with socket for 1/4" bits.

Usually ditch the supplied steel bits and tend to use a quality bit set - most frequently something like Wera. Not sure of supply in France but the likes of Screwfix ( their diamond bits good as well ), Tool Station etc.

Thanks, Yes I use a torque screwdriver too. The one I bought didn't have the parallel face (hollow ground) tips though. So it's either a set of bits or a set with handles failing that. Getting access to UK stuff is no problem for me and to be honest UK prices are mainly cheaper than European ones. Although the UK tools might melt or buckle during a heatwave :lol:
Mark

The Wheeler Engineering screwdriver set is really good, all hollow ground and at least 30 different bits to suit most firearms. I have one, along with a comprehensive driver bit set (hex's, torx etx) bought from a tooling supplier and a Borka torque wrench. Covers everything I need.

Have a look about for a Stahlewillie dealer near you , they are German hand tools used by pro mechanics , or Facome are a local French breed also very good .

Cheers

Thanks everyone. I will follow up those leads. Failing that I'll have a look at Brownells website but I can't for the next 10 days as the work web site here has a firewall that bans 'firearms' web sites :ban:

i use foster from brownells usa

Parallel ground tips to better fit the bottom of the slot, where the screw is strongest, for greater torque transfer.

you get what you pay for feller :thumb: seen a few slips with BQ £3 a set drivers and left with sharp screws and scratches:doh: proper tools for the proper job mty thats why thay make them:old:
atb
paul o'

.... and something to adjust the Blaser one piece mount I just bought.
Any recommendations from a UK or European source would be welcome.

Regards, Mark

Hi Mark,

You might not find something thin enough in any of the sets to fit the Blaser Saddlemount adjusting screws... I use one out of the usual set of 3 shotgun turnscrews - just the job for those screws.

Cheers

Fizz
:cool:

I use Chapman screwdriver & bits and have since 1983 when I bought my set and they are still going strong (the very small ones tend to break off at the tip) otherwise no problems with them and the hex ratchet works well too.
Recommend.
Martin

I bought the top end set of the Brownells Magna-Tip. Not cheap but then cheap tools are not what I need. Never regretted buying them. I also bought the thin bladed set, designed for European shotguns which have thin headed bolts/screws.

-JMS

Surely Blaser do a dedicated screwdriver that you can buy? Can't see it costing more than £200-£300 and you will be able to tell everyone that you meet that you have one!

If I need a special screw driver, I make one for a particular screw.
At the start of my apprenticeship we made ourselves a complete set from scratch, via blacksmithing, hardening and grinding.
Doesn't even take that long.
edi

Back